Add Power Steering to 76 Cosworth w/ v8

Moderator: Moderators

Add Power Steering to 76 Cosworth w/ v8

Postby Mark in INdiana » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:54 pm

I'm planning a v8 conversion into a 76 Cosworth and would like to add Power Steering so my petite wife can also drive it. I've read some posts but am left with questions. Is there a 'shopping list' or guide of what's needed from what donor car? (I have experience doing a manual to PS swap on an early Camaro). I appreciate your help! Thank you!
Mark in INdiana
Mark in INdiana

Re: Add Power Steering to 76 Cosworth w/ v8

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:40 pm

The center link on the Cosworth is the same as the power steering center link so you should not need to change it. The steering box should also be the same size as an h-body P/S box so mounting should be the same.

What happened to the CV engine?

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Mark in INdiana » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Thank you for the information on the pitman arm, center link and PS gear. I appreciate it.

The CV engine is ok. But I want the big torque of a V8. The plan is to keep a factory looking interior and exterior but upgrade the engine, drive line, suspension and brakes, wheels and tires. I'm in a parts gathering mode and currently looking for the Monza V8 PS pump mounting bracket set. Does anyone have a set they would like to sell? If so, please let me know.

As a plan B, I've also been looking at some aftermarket brackets that mount the PS pump low and close to the block but I can't tell if there is room to clear the steering gear. Has anyone had success with these? I found a Mercruiser SBC PS pump bracket set (15083T) that mounts the pump off the cylinder head accessory bolt holes similar to the Monza v8, but looks like it may be for a long water pump. Not sure if these brackets could be morphed into a Monza set up.

Thoughts? Comments? Alternatives? Thanks in advance.

Mark in INdiana
Mark in INdiana

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Sometimes it may help to look at 70's Corvette setups as they continued to use the short water pump. I use a Corvette (chrome) water pump on my Monza.
PS.....let me know about your clutch cable pedal setup as we emailed about. Clyde
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech