1972 Vega Hatchback

Moderator: Moderators

1972 Vega Hatchback

Postby jhargis1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 pm

I know there have been multiple topics on brakes and suspension. I am buying a 72 that has had a Monza 5lug 10 bolt install in the rear. The front is still stock 4lug disc non-power brakes. It has had a transplant to a 350sb and 350 tranny. What is the possibility of strengthening the stock suspension to leave as is for a while? I will plan for a better update in the future, but trying to keep costs down for a minute. Thanks
jhargis1

Re: 1972 Vega Hatchback

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:09 pm

I'll add my welcome to the party, Late! :bang: Your Monza 5 lug rear is a bit puzzling as the Monza never came with a 5 lug but can be easily adapted with S10/S15 rear axles. Many Vega swappers seem to prefer the S10 rear and add the four links to them rather than a whole Monza 3 link swap. Can you clarify a little, Monza has a torque arm mount on the pinion section of the centre section, and the S10 will have welded upper control arms, the G-Body will have upper mounts "not unlike" the Vega, but on a 7.5" ring gear rear as to the Vega's 6.5. If your car still has the Vega front lowers it will likely be easier to get an "off-the-shelf" spring if you switch out to the Monza [and friends '76 and newer] lowers or add 1.0" to the spring pocket (deeper) of your Vega ones. The Monza front end in '75 was almost/exactly the same as the Vega at that point so not much should be needed if everything is in decent shape for the interim with your V8 swap out side of the correct springs, and that may take some trial and error. I hope this gets you off and running on the right foot. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby jhargis1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:36 am

Monza Harry wrote:I'll add my welcome to the party, Late! :bang: Your Monza 5 lug rear is a bit puzzling as the Monza never came with a 5 lug but can be easily adapted with S10/S15 rear axles. Many Vega swappers seem to prefer the S10 rear and add the four links to them rather than a whole Monza 3 link swap. Can you clarify a little, Monza has a torque arm mount on the pinion section of the centre section, and the S10 will have welded upper control arms, the G-Body will have upper mounts "not unlike" the Vega, but on a 7.5" ring gear rear as to the Vega's 6.5. If your car still has the Vega front lowers it will likely be easier to get an "off-the-shelf" spring if you switch out to the Monza [and friends '76 and newer] lowers or add 1.0" to the spring pocket (deeper) of your Vega ones. The Monza front end in '75 was almost/exactly the same as the Vega at that point so not much should be needed if everything is in decent shape for the interim with your V8 swap out side of the correct springs, and that may take some trial and error. I hope this gets you off and running on the right foot. Harry

Was basing my info on second hand. The car was owned by a man that did the work. He passed away and the car was purchased by the gentleman I am purchasing the car from. He stated the rear end was from a Monza, but he did not do the work. I will inspect and press forward with information I can glean from the forum. Thanks
jhargis1

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 am

Keep us in the "loop" we'll be here! I hope this clears the "mud" a little [there isn't much clear water when dealing with H-Bodies :bang: ] . :lol: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Smiley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 pm

The stock 72 suspension will hold a small block fine if the lower ball joints are in good shape.
4 lug rotors limit your wheel choices to 13" rims and 13" tires which are fading into the sunset.
The main reason to do the S10 front brake swap is to get 5 lug rotors,but the better brakes and stronger ball joints are added benefits.
Smiley

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech