1972 Vega Front Suspension and Disc Brakes

Moderator: Moderators

1972 Vega Front Suspension and Disc Brakes

Postby jhargis1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Just picked up my 72 this weekend. It has original 4 lug disc on front. I would like to get information on the S10 swap. A buddy of mine stated, I should consider the later model S10 spindles, bearings, rotors, a-arms, and ball joints. He stated the later model has the 1 piece sealed bearing instead of the conical (grease the bearings) type. I am not familiar with the sealed type yet, but would love input.
jhargis1

Re: 1972 Vega Front Suspension and Disc Brakes

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:46 pm

The later ones your friend is referring to are only on the 4wd versions as I recall. My Sonoma (01) has the "old school bearings" and had the original ones until my last brake job around 230Km [~140,000 miles] and upon inspection after I replaced them they were still in excellent shape, so my preventative maintenance was uncalled for . Unit bearings don't last that long, the wife's Envoy had two new ones about two years ago and they are noisy now, so I see another $800 repair coming real soon, I hate "Unit" bearings! [These were OEM quality replacements, parts store ones don't usually last more than a year or so. This is my [and related] experience YMMV. The 4wd versions do have a bigger two piston caliper though that would be worth considering in the mix, you will have to "calculate" your wants/needs and weigh them against the negatives. I don't know if they will be the same in other dimensions as the 2wd versions as 4wd has a wider flange to flange width with a deeper + offset wheel. These are things I know, however I am not aware of any builds on here with the 4wd spindles that go into any detail or showed a finished front ass'y with them. I hope this adds some clarity to your question, but I know I didn't really help much! :( Harry :?
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:48 pm

Last edited by monzaaddict on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
monzaaddict

Postby Smiley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:17 am

Standard 1st gen S10 spindles are alot cheaper and easier to find.
1st gen drop spindles are $120 while 99 Blazer Xtreme 2wd drop spindles are $328.
You can usually find some cheap stock 1st gen S10 spindles for sale by people who have installed dropped spindles.
If you are just looking for 5 lug wheels and slightly improved braking Standard S10 spindles are the ticket.
99 S10 Blazer Xtreme 2wd spindles use the dual piston calipers. They have the sealed bearings pressed onto a hub held to the spindle by 3 bolts.
The dual piston setup is hard to find in the junkyard and the parts will cost more to replace but braking will be improved a bit over the 1st gen S10.
Smiley

Postby jhargis1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 am

Smiley wrote:Standard 1st gen S10 spindles are alot cheaper and easier to find.
1st gen drop spindles are $120 while 99 Blazer Xtreme 2wd drop spindles are $328.
You can usually find some cheap stock 1st gen S10 spindles for sale by people who have installed dropped spindles.
If you are just looking for 5 lug wheels and slightly improved braking Standard S10 spindles are the ticket.
99 S10 Blazer Xtreme 2wd spindles use the dual piston calipers. They have the sealed bearings pressed onto a hub held to the spindle by 3 bolts.
The dual piston setup is hard to find in the junkyard and the parts will cost more to replace but braking will be improved a bit over the 1st gen S10.

Any chance you have pictures? I have a friend that can hook me up with an 84 S10 front assembly. What are the gussets for I have seen folks talking about welding onto the control arm? Thanks
jhargis1

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 am

monzaaddict wrote:I used '99 Blazer front spindles and adapted C4 Corvette front brakes to them. There's a photo halfway down the page here:

viewtopic.php?t=22136&start=0

Chuck

Monzaaddict: I did that, too! My photo is halfway down on the first page of that link. Where's your photo?

Jhargis1: V8Monza.com makes spacers to put on your ball joints to be able to use S-10 spindles, but you would have to upgrade to '76-'80 Monza lower ball joints to use them. Modifications are needed to upgrade to S-10 ball joints, there are a couple of threads here to check. I had some tubular upper control arms made and welded in some ball joint sleeves from UB Machine in the lower control arms on my Vega.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby jhargis1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 am

With a little research I found there is very little difference between the suspension and brakes from 1982 thru 2003 on the base model S10 pickup. I found someone parting out a 2000 S10 and buying complete both sides for $150. Now the fun begins.

Any challenges I am facing? Input would be great. Thanks for info...
jhargis1

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:59 am

You'll have to upgrade the master cylinder. If you're keeping manual brakes, I'd recommend a master from a '76-'80 Monza with a 7/8" bore. Also, to keep your turning radius, you'll need to grind off the rivets and remove the stops on the lower control arms where the spindles contacts them.

The Vega outer tie rod ends will fit the S-10 spindles.

Unfortunately, the spindle on the knuckle is at a different angle than the Vega's, so you need to find a way of correcting the camber. I used an adjustable tubular upper control arm, but others have altered the position of the upper ball joint when they upgraded to the S-10 ball joint. There are offset upper control arm bushings available, but I'm not sure if they allow enough offset to correct the camber. Others may weigh in on this.

Someone else may weigh in on stock-style brake hoses. I used braided-stainless hoses with interchangeable ends from a speed shop.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech