4 lug to 5 lug suspension and brake conversion

Moderator: Moderators

4 lug to 5 lug suspension and brake conversion

Postby jhargis1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:51 am

I know there have been many posts on the subject. But I have yet to find a post with in-depth photos (maybe step by step) or a more complete idea of the swap.

As a newbie to the swap, it's a little confusing as some say the S10 is a bolt on conversion, then others say you have to trim this, or remove that, and use camber adjustable bushings.

I'm not one for cutting corners, but would like to stay within a reasonable budget and have a quality working outcome. I plan on making this a driver for a long time to come.

Detailed information and pictures would be great or point me in a direction to find a blog or submission for this request.

Thanks in advance...
jhargis1

Re: 4 lug to 5 lug suspension and brake conversion

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Here's something I Googled:

It's from V8Monza.com, the guy who offers the ball joint adapters I spoke of:

http://www.v8monza.com/faq-fsus-S10_front-walk-thru.htm

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Smiley » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 am

The "bolt in" swap is done using new 75 and later lower ball joints and using Bob Gum taper adapters in the S10 spindles.

If your wheel camber is beyond the adjustment range after the swap you can get offset upper control arm bushings.

The more involved S10 swap requires a spring compressor to remove both upper and lower control arms on both sides.
Then modifying all the control arms to take S10 ball joints directly.
The lowers are done by enlarging and offsetting the ball joint hole 1/4" inboard then welding in UB Machine S10 ball joint sleeves part number 40-3301. http://www.ubmachine.com/balljointsleeves.html
( the 1/4" takes up the difference from Vega to S10 spindle offset).

the upper control arms are converted by welding up the Vega ball joint rivet holes and then enlarging the hole to fit the S10 upper ball joints and redrilling the upper control arms for the S10 ball joints.

Smiley

Postby jhargis1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:42 am

Good information. I also found the website for Bob Gumm. Gathering parts now. Will be a project in the very near future. Thanks again for pictures and info...

Speaking of pictures, I have yet to be able to figure changing the size of my pictures to download for this sit. They are acceptable format "PNG", but too large. As soon as I get it figured, I'll add some pictures.
jhargis1

Postby bugdewde » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 pm

jhargis1 wrote:

Speaking of pictures, I have yet to be able to figure changing the size of my pictures to download for this sit. They are acceptable format "PNG", but too large. As soon as I get it figured, I'll add some pictures.

Here's a thread with a few ways to resize...... if you look 1/2 way down the first page you'll see my posts with circles and arrows showing you all the necessary mouse clicks to do it in about 5 or 6 mouse clicks. I use Microsoft "Paint" since it's free on most any PC.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28612
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby jhargis1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:31 am

Thanks for the info on resizing. What a pain, but worth the effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhargis1

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech