Sway bar headaches

Moderator: Moderators

Sway bar headaches

Postby Muskrat » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:16 am

Well fellow h body people, not sure how many of you know but addco has discontinued sway bar 710 the 1 1/8 bar and after calling them they won't even answer any questions. Bit of a rookie here when it comes to these cars just wondering if u guys know of any other sway bars like g body or a body swaps people have done? Having a hard time finding even a stock one looked at 3 cars now that had none??
Muskrat

1977 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Re: Sway bar headaches

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 am

Never heard of any other bar that would fit our chassis. There were some factory 1 1/8" front bars so probably need to scavenge the bone yards or internet. There were also some 1 1/16" bars that would be my second choice.....measure carefully as they are very close to each other.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:42 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Never heard of any other bar that would fit our chassis. There were some factory 1 1/8" front bars so probably need to scavenge the bone yards or internet. There were also some 1 1/16" bars that would be my second choice.....measure carefully as they are very close to each other.

There is also a 1" bar so don't trust the "Eyeball Caliper" I am a toolmaker and they are very hard to judge by eye [or a tape measure] even for someone that does that sort of thing daily, just to confirm what Clyde says! This cost me over $200 [Canadian dollars, that is what I get paid in :cuss: ]to find out I already had a 1 1/8" bar [now been sold off] just to have an Addco, :bang: and a 1 1/16" [holding onto for fine tuning as required as well as 2 different diameter rear bars, and again they look incredibly the same so use a proper measuring device] Just to add to the confusion do you have the LCA's with the sway bar mounts? If you do not that does offer some options for fab'ing one to fit. :idea: I think one off of a "S" truck may be doable with some creativity and they are available in a few other sizes to offer some adjustability/tunability. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Muskrat » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:07 pm

Yeah no eyeballing here haha I'm a full time machinist, I've got aje control arms on there right now with the factory located sway bar mounts, I've currently got some rough bracket for an s10 bar on it but it's just kind of short and a little wide to work good I think. Ive got a lead on a couple stock one's right now, but if I finish the S10 swap I will post some pictures for you guys.
Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Just got an email back from addco, they discontinued all the sway bars they listed for monzas and Vegas, back to searching for old stock
Muskrat

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 am

I'll have a 1-1/8" Addco bar to sell as soon as I get the 1-1/4" bar painted and installed. Too many projects in front of that one, though, I can't give you an ETA. Since it's September already, it may not be this year.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Where on the sway bar should one measure to determine its thickness, near the end mounts ?, or towards the center of the bar? I use a caliper for measuring. Thanks in advance.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:22 pm

It should be fairly consistent from end to end but I would suggest just measure it in the middle. The sway bar starts as a straight bar and then gets bent to shape.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech