why do we clock in the front coil springs

Moderator: Moderators

why do we clock in the front coil springs

Postby chevyart » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 am

a while back cos 7 explained how to clock in the front coil springs. i never thought to ask why this is necessary. will springs do bad things if not put in this way. thanks art
chevyart

Re: why do we clock in the front coil springs

Postby crawfw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:20 pm

I believe if rotated a little too far you could bridge the upper coil end across a high and low spot. Obviously that could cause damage to the spring or pocket and possibly raise the front a little.
Not rotated enough? I'm not sure what issues that could cause other than the same issue if left severely under rotated. Maybe movement of the spring while installing or driving as well.
that's just my guess. I'm sure others may know the true reason.
If you bridge over the indexed area that would certainly cause issues. height, damage and probably mess up the geometry of the front suspension.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Art I will add to Crawfw's response, the upper "seat" is a helix [circular ramp] that will have a step at some point (that is where the bridging he reefer's to would take place). So to ensure that both springs end up at the same height there must be some way of indexing them. Remember the bottom of the spring is flattened but the top isn't so, that is the cause of needing to index, to match and control ride height from side to side. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:35 am

thank you for the explanations. i will go tomorrow and look at my parts. i have a new set of springs and a nice set of upper and lower deep pocket control arms and i will study the areas on the control arms and springs to further understand how the clocking system works. both of your explanations were very helpful. thanks again art
chevyart

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech