Front heavy duty coil springs for stock suspension

Moderator: Moderators

Front heavy duty coil springs for stock suspension

Postby jhargis1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:29 am

For now, I am going to retain my stock style front suspension, but want to add a better spring. Does the stock type Monza V8 spring add enough strength? Or does someone have a better type, without starting all of the "change to the S10 componants". I am not at that point, yet...Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhargis1

Re: Front heavy duty coil springs for stock suspension

Postby Smiley » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:50 am

The reason to do the S10 swap in the front is to get slightly better brakes and cheap 5 lug rotors,
it is also a good time to change to S10 ball joints which are stronger and less expensive than H-body ball joints.
The spring upgrade is needed to restore ride height and prevent bottoming out.
When using 71-74 lower control arms the V8 Monza springs may be too stiff.
The reason for this is 71-74 control arms had shallow pockets,in 75 when Monza's came out GM made the spring pockets deeper to handle the longer stiffer springs for the V6 and V8 engines in the H-body cars.
71-73 Vega's are lighter than Monza's and the early shallow pocket lower control arms yeild a shorter installed spring height,
a coil or so can be cut off the V8 springs to use them but most people have better luck with V6 or V6 w/AC springs in early Vega V8 conversions.
Smiley

Postby chevyart » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:07 pm

smiley is exactly right about his deacription of using different coil springs. only thing. as far s i am concerned , is that cutting from the coill springs(any coil springs) is the kiss of death for the cars ride. it definitely alters the spring rate in a bad way. get a set of the deep pocket control arms(probably only need the lowers)(even with the s-10 converesion), THEN YOU WILL HAVE LOTS OF MONZA SPRINGS TO PICK FROM. BEST PICK SO FAR FROM MANY MEMBERS is to use the v-6 with ac springs(in the deep pocket arms). this is the combo i picked for my vega. im sure others will chime in. art
chevyart

Postby Smiley » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Moog 6490- for 77 Astre front springs Iron Duke 4 cyl engine and Monza V6 without AC.
These are a bit longer and stiffer than early Vega springs so they work well in shallow pocket control arms with a small block V8 without cutting coils.
Smiley

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech