Front Spring Decisions

Moderator: Moderators

Front Spring Decisions

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:56 pm

I have compared the relaxed height, load capacities, compressed height, wire diameters of several of the H-bodys from 74 thru 78 and am having a tough time determining which is the correct spring for my particular set up. Smiley?..Harry?
The set up is deep pocket 75 lower control arms, V6 4.3, with air cond. I believe I ordered shocks for the V8 77 Monza, which shouldn't make a difference in the overall heigh (is this a correct assumption?). Theres a good 5 inches between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well and I would like to lower it without cutting springs or heating them till they sag into place. I hear thats a bad way to go.
The two Moog numbers I looked at were -6490 and 5576. I am not sure which ones I ordered and installed.
I see that just because you need to lower 4 inches doesn't mean that you cut 4 inches off of a relaxed coil spring. S-10 spindles and axles and 15 inch wheels are on it now. Thanks in advance..Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Re: Front Spring Decisions

Postby Smiley » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:35 pm

try the 6490's then drop spindles if you want more.
Smiley

Re: Front Spring Decisions

Postby 283vega » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:43 am

Got pictures? Also if its sitting to high loosen control arm bolts while sitting on the ground . Jump onthe bumper or jack up from under control arm. If they were tightened while hanging when car was on stands the car seems to be stuck at a higher ride height.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech