5-Lug Questions

Moderator: Moderators

5-Lug Questions

Postby GZM1970 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:34 pm

Hey guys. First off, let me go ahead and apologize for this post. I know this dead horse has been beat and beat and beat. So, I might as well go ahead and to take a swing just so I understand clearly, LOL.

I currently have a 100% stock original 73’ I will be converting to 5-lug. I also have the 89’ S10 spindles, calipers, rotors, and a S10 Rear End (drum brakes).

To summarize my options for the 5-lug conversion:

Option #1
Buy the lower ball joint sleeve(s) and modify the lower control arms for S10 ball joints. Use the S10 upper ball joint and modify the upper control arm as noted in other posts. This will solve most any alignment issues related to the modification, correct?

Option #2
Buy the ball joint adapters (tapered sleeves) from V8monza.com. Install the 75’ or later Monza lower ball joints. Install the upper adjustable control arm bushings. With the adjustable upper control arm bushings, can I get the alignment issues within tolerance?

With either option, will this make my face of rotor to face of rotor wider than stock?

Thanks
GZM1970

Re: 5-Lug Questions

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:19 am

There is a lot of information in our Library section https://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/index.html .

Considering the state of replacement parts for our cars (read: scarce), you may want to do the ball joint conversion instead of trying to find the offset control arm bushings and Monza ball joints. The offset control arm bushings may not be enough to correct the spindle angle difference between the Vega and S10 spindles. Spohn Performance and Overkill Race Cars used to make adjustable control arms. Looks like Spohn no longer carries the front control arms, and, according to Google, it looks like Overkill is closed.

Yes, the S10 spindles and rotors will widen the track.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby GZM1970 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:43 pm

cosvega76 wrote:There is a lot of information in our Library section https://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/index.html .

Considering the state of replacement parts for our cars (read: scarce), you may want to do the ball joint conversion instead of trying to find the offset control arm bushings and Monza ball joints. The offset control arm bushings may not be enough to correct the spindle angle difference between the Vega and S10 spindles. Spohn Performance and Overkill Race Cars used to make adjustable control arms. Looks like Spohn no longer carries the front control arms, and, according to Google, it looks like Overkill is closed.

Yes, the S10 spindles and rotors will widen the track.

Chuck

Hey Chuck, thanks for this info. I am still trying to decide on this but I did actually find stock ball joints and bushings for my car. They are a little pricing IMO but they do exist I am happy to say. I even found some 13" tires that are $69 a piece via Discount Tire.
GZM1970

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:33 am

Hey Chuck maybe just a "Google Moment"? So Chuck and GMZ1970, I just went to his site and it appears functional to me here is a link: https://overkillracecars.com/ Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech