UMI control arms

Moderator: Moderators

UMI control arms

Postby astre75 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:30 pm

Has anyone been running the UMI rear control arms with the poly bushing on one end and the rod end on the other.I think I may have thrashed my upper bushings on my current stock control arms and you cant really find the upper bushings any more unless you get the energy suspension poly kit,,,not to mention they are kind of small and probably not strong enough for what I'm doing now on my car.Up graded 9 inch with 3.55 gears and bigger 15 inch tires,Hope to hear from some of you running these UMI arms TY Corey.
astre75

Re: UMI control arms

Postby astre75 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:16 pm

I just got my rear control arm kit from summit,,,they look really nice,,,,I read some reviews on the summit site and the guys on there said they were happy with them,,,gonna head out to the garage soon and get them installed so I'm ready foe March when I will insure the car :D for the season.
astre75

Postby dt_reeves@yahoo.com » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:22 pm

Did you install 9" or was it there when you purchased car?
dt_reeves@yahoo.com

Postby astre75 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:35 pm

No I had a truck housing shortened and bought Bear pro street axles and a strange nodular iron center section with 3.55 gears.I didn't want to worry about anything coming un glued back there when doing a burnout or some thing.I'am in the middle of installing the control arms right now and its going pretty good.Hey thanks for your interest in my post Corey.
astre75

Postby dt_reeves@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:22 am

How did control arm install go?

I’m working on sprucing up front suspension right now. Except fo S10 spindles, the rest of components were factory original. Looks like even blown out shocks were the original. Using factory control arms but replacing everything else.

Once that is done, will be focusing on rear. Had S10 posi already but they didn’t align very well and needs redoing. Should be receiving bracket kit from Larry Ray in a day or so. I was curious how you positioned your brackets before you permanently attached.

I do have a 77 that may end up a parts car due to an interior leak that destroyed driver side sub frame. Has original suspension and planned on getting angles from that and getting horizontal position by putting rear end in place and tacking in.
dt_reeves@yahoo.com

Postby astre75 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:27 pm

hey hows it goin?I had a racecar shop do the rear end brackets for me I gave then a stock vega rear end with the 4 link brackets on it and the 4 brackets off another vega rear and they did it,,,was a real screw around they kept putting the uppper brackets in the wrong place,,I couldn't understand how they didn't get it right I gave them another vega rear complete with brackets attached to go off of,,,,,I finally was able to get the rear end in place even with the upper brackets slightly off,,,and then a friend of mine cut the uppers off and we put the 9 inch where it should be and then he re-welded the brackets,,,it was one of those times in the build when I just about threw everything in the garbage,,,,LOL,,,If you have another vega rear end to go off of that would be best for you to figure out where the backets go,,,,,,The one thing I really like about these UMI control arms is I have a bunch of adjustment so I can dial in the pinion angle and center the wheels in the wheel well front to back,,,, take care fella talk to you soon,,,,Corey.
astre75

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech