Help with seatbelt install in a 71 Vega

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Help with seatbelt install in a 71 Vega

Postby JohnP » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:27 pm

I picked up a set of seatbelts off eBay which said they were for a Vega/Monza. I needed shoulder straps so I can run the car at the track. I tried to install them today and the retactor with the belt the shoulder strap hooks to and seems like it would go on the outside of the seat will not fit. I'm using the stock mounting location and the retractor is in the way, the seat will not fit back in. Retractor will not let the seat get back far enough to go back into its mounting holes. Seems like the mounting hole for the seatbelt retractor needs to be like 4-5 inches farther back.

Could someone post a pic of the correct seatbelts for a early Vega? I'm thinking, what I got are for a Monza and really will not work in a Vega.

Thanks appriciate the help. I'm new to Vegas and the few shop books I have do not show seatbelts.
JohnP

Postby greg72 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:23 pm

i believe the early Vegas did not have the same one piece (shoulder and lap belt ) that the later year h-bodies had.

It seems to me they had a lap belt and then a separate shoulder belt that tucked up into clips in the headliner above the door when not in use.

I could be wrong and hopefully my post will jog some memories out there or perhaps someone still has this set up in a car , if i am indeed correct.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:23 am

My '72 uses the two-piece style. I have a lap belt and a secondary belt that is tucked into the aforesaid clip. Pardon my ugly mug. I took this pic at like 2am. Don't ask my why I was up that late lmao In the picture you can see the clip up on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

I'll need to get those clips for the shoulder straps.

Postby JohnP » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:20 am

Thanks for pic, but my problem is the the lap belts. To mount the retractor for the lap belt, in the stock location, its in the way, the seat can not fit in. Here are pic of belts I got. Thinking the are for Monza, and will not work with earlier Vega.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnP

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:44 am

John,

Those look like the ones in my '73 Vega. The front lower retractors mount behind the seat, and the belt comes around and mounts next to the sill plate with a small screw. What seats are you trying to install? I had Camaro seats in mine when I first got it, and they would not slide all the way back because of the retractor.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

I think they are Vega seats.

Postby JohnP » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:52 pm

Chuck,
Your post is making me wonder if my seats are Camaro or Vega seats. I'm really not sure. I think they are Vega seats, they mount in the original location. They came with the car. I guess there could be a chance they are actually Camaro seats. And this is why the belt retractor will not fit in original location.

Whats the difference between the two seats?

You describe exactly the problem I'm having. Seat will not slide back all the way due to retractor. I'm 6'2" and really need the seat to go all the way back. I guess I'll have to mount the retractor farther back from the stock mounting location to clear the seat.

Thanks
John
JohnP

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:45 pm

John,

The Camaro seats are a little wider, but I think they will fit on the same seat tracks. Here is a product I have been looking at, but haven't called to see if they could be made to fit:

http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com/Bi ... 0Three.htm

The nice thing about these is that there are retractors for the shoulder belt, as well. Looking at the photo, I think there would be more room for the lap belt retractor.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby JohnP » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:07 pm

Chuck,
Thanks for link, those are nice belts. Retractor for shoulder would be nice. Looks like the retractor next to the seat might keep a Vegas door from closing?

Anyway, I think I'm stuck having to make what I have work. Really was hoping there was some install trick to make them fit right. Don't really want to make another mounting hole, but spent the money on what I have. My seats are Vega seats, they may just be from a GT, mine is a 2300. Ebay is great for research, found a nice picture of some Camaro seats to compare to mine. Similar, but not what I have.

I'm learning about these cars and thinking a 71 did not have a
retractor to the lap belt. I found these pics on Ebay for a 73 thats for sale and is all original, it shows retractors, and they are definitly a lot farther back then the stock mounting hole I have on my car. Mine are about right where the seat hinges to tilt forward. That is why I figure no retractor for a 71.
I'll keep that link as a backup plan, but would rather not spent more for belts, I guess I could always resell the ones I already have.

Thanks for replys and input.
JohnP

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:19 pm

John,

My first V8 Vega was a '71, about *ahem* 30 years ago. If my foggy memory serves me correctly, I think that had retractors for the lap belt, the same as the '73. But, there have been a lot of miles under the wheels since then, if you know what I mean.

How about raising the front of the seat with some washers? It would give some extra support for your legs, at least.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Restoration Tips