Door panels

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Door panels

Postby cmdstek1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Any one know how to restore interior door panels without replacing them? They are still solid but they are pitted and scratched and the old vinyl comes off like dust in some places and other areas its fine.
cmdstek1

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:06 pm

Are they hard plastic?
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cmdstek1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:15 pm

yes they are hard plastic.
cmdstek1

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:23 pm

You need to clean them very thouroughly with warm water and detergent. Then, wipe them down with either wax and grease remover or lacquer thinner. You have to get all the loose stuff off as well as any dirt and silicon from Armor All or similiar products that may have been used on it. Then give them a light coat of primer (I like light gray) follwed by interior dye (paint). You can use spray can paint available at most big auto parts stores although the color choice may be limited. They should also have the wax and grease remover or lacquer thinner. Not sure about the pitting or scratches, if they are not deep they shouldn't hardly show. Keep your paint thin so you don't fill in the grain pattern. You may be able to skip the primer but I always like to use it to make coverage easier and give a better bond.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:37 pm

If they are scratched deep in spots and the grain is worn off you could do what Clyde said to clean them but then sand smooth before painting. I might do that on some really weathered panels I have. You also might be able to get some type of texture paint like the hammered or wrinkle finish. Maybe even cover them with vinyl.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cmdstek1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:33 pm

thanks for the tips guys. most of the panels are pretty chewed up but solid. I did wash them but most of the grain came off. so it looks like lots of sanding and a hammered finish.
cmdstek1

Return to Restoration Tips