Windshield trim removal

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Windshield trim removal

Postby spyderman1977 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:46 am

I tried a search of the board on removing the trim from around the windshield and came up with nothing so I will pose the question out here.

I need to remove the windshield from my 77 Spyder because someone put the glass and sealed it with silicone. Needless to say it leaked and all the heater controls under the dash are rusted to the point they no longer work. The glass is still in great shape and so is the trim around the glass.

Is there a tool that is needed to get the trim off without messing up the trim itself?

Thanks,
Paul
spyderman1977

1976 Buick Skyhawk Free Spirit

Re: Windshield trim removal

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:58 am

Yes, there is a tool to remove the trim. It's a simple flat piece of metal with a hook on the end. You slide it under the trim and snag the clip and then pull it slightly to release it. However if yours is siliconed in place it may not be as easy.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gerbsinmd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:38 am

I made a tool for that purpose based on the real tool.
trimtool1.JPG

The hook could be a little longer, but it works pretty well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby SunbirdMan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:51 am

here's what the tools look like. there appears to be a bend at the handle and the tip. so there's a right and a left version. After Darrel posted his pic awhile back, I went to the thrift store to buy a knife so I could make one. instead i found a flat utensil which I believe is for slathering frosting on cakes. This pic is just for reference. 1 and 2= J-21549-10 and J-21549-11
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby spyderman1977 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:30 am

It looks like most of the silicone is between the glass and metal of the car. I don't think that it is under the trim. Atleast I hope not anyways lol. Im also hoping that with it being silicone instead of the rubber that it might actually be easier to get the glass out. I may run to the local parts stores and see if they have the actual tool. Atleast now I have an idea of what it looks like now and know what it is I am looking for.

Thank you guys for the help :D :D
Paul
spyderman1977

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:39 am

Paul, unless you know how to pull the glass it may be worthwhile to just have a glass shop do it. It's pretty easy if you have the tools and knowledge but for a first timer you are probably going to struggle. While there is always a possibility of breaking the glass during removal the pro's probably have a better chance of doing it without it breaking. I have seen them pull a windshield in literally a few minutes. I had one replaced in my 84 Monte SS and the guy came to the house and from start to finish it was about 45 minutes. It was pretty amazing to watch.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby rocketride » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Hey Paul,

I found this trim tool at O'Reilly or Autozone and it works pretty well.
You'll need to take your time removing the trim and try not to catch the edge of the glass or you could cause it to shell ( a chip shaped like a shell ) or cracking it. I worked in a glass shop for two years back in the mid 80's and have a little experience.

If you do it yourself take a box knife and cut through the silicone then use the tool to remove the trim. You can also use the knife to cut through the windshield seal if your careful. First cut down around the outside edge of the windshield being careful not to get against the glass then reaching through the door as far as you can and stick the knife up through the seal at the top and pull it to you then do the sides and the bottom. You may have to do this several time to get it cut all the way through and keep sharp blades in the knife. Do this until you can start pushing the glass away from the body in one of the top corners ( be easy and take your time as to not put too much stress on the glass ). You should be able to keep cutting the seal at the top and down the sides until you can lean it forward enough to finish cutting through the bottom and get the glass out. I used this same method to take the windshields out of two cars that I parted out.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Jon
He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby spyderman1977 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:19 am

Don't worry I will be taking my time. I am going to make sure that I go slow and do it right. I pulled a piece of the silicone off this evening and its still fairly soft all things considering.

I think I might try to make a tool and see what happens. Like I said I am not gonna push the issue and if it looks like I am going to get in over my head I will call in someone hopefully from Texarkana.

Remember I have a few other cars that will need to be worked one at some point in time ;)

Thanks again guys,
Paul
spyderman1977

Postby spyder_xlch » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:35 am

The good news is if you break any clips you can still buy new ones. Also, I'm not sure if you mean the windshield was put in with silicone or just sealed with it. If it is just held in with silicone it should be alot easier cut through and remove.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spyderman1977 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 am

Yes its held in with silicone and not the rubber sealant that should be there. I am hoping that it will make the process a little easier.

Paul
spyderman1977

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Paul;;;;; the Silicone,,,is it Black and soft ???? It should be Urethane Black,
it can be harder under the Glass ,,,It will be unseen under the trim,,,,,,,

but some people have used silicone in the are between the Glass and Paint

It come's in Caulk tube's,,, to install with Caulk gun on the mounting flange to the windshield opening,,,,
,,and you set the Glass on it's lip, works like denture holding creme,,But Stronger.

They sell a T-handled cable asisted Knife wih bent blade to cut the urethane,,
also they sell a set of handles and a spool of twisted 6 strand fine wire/cable,

with a Ice pick needle to push the wire under the Glass,, to run the wire inside to hook up the handle with a allen set screw,,,
,,inside then you saw the urethane out from under the Glass,,,

:arrow: It can be done you start on one side,,,
,,at a angle down and towards the center and saw till you get to the curves and go slow,,,, :arrow:

,,,The wire gets thin if you go to fast and Breaks with out coolant,,
from a spray bottle,,, :arrow: Windex works fine.,,,,Mike

Before you start remove interior trim headliner and a Pillar's they will be scratched
,,,,,And place Masking tape on Painted surface's outside and inside on metal part of dash
The Glass man will do it in front of you,,, Watch everything he use's and technique,,
It will help you later when you have to do the next one,, and well worth the money for a learning curve,,,My car had been severly over Caulked or recaualked with urethane and silicone black ,

,,Bought new Clips from Clyde and Screw in replacemet pins,,
,,, Actualy you have to remove the windshield to replace the pins and some clips any way,,

,,,If some of the pins are lose try to remove them gently and if holes are clean and ''larger" making a loose fit,,
,Try a dab of 5 minute Epoxy,,,Mike 8) 8) :arrow:

On a earlier post about making a tool for trim removal :arrow: Gerbsind took a old Butter knife and ground a hook on it,,

and has a picture ,,,
It's in interesting tools you made for your h-body section near this section I beleave,,Mike
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Restoration Tips