Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

those crazy side vents on wagons

Postby mikhuk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:42 am

do those vents really have to be there or can they be filled in thanks
mikhuk

Re: those crazy side vents on wagons

Postby bugdewde » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:53 am

I would say those are the exit vents for the free flow ventilation of the car. Air is drawn into the car via the cowl and exits at the rear. It's a safety feature that helps keep the interior windows from fogging up with stale moist exhaled breath..... also keeps the carbon monoxide levels down inside if you have an exhaust leak.

Modern cars usually have a fresh air vent setting on the HVAC as well as the Recirculation setting. The recirc setting is not for defrost, as it recirculates the already heated/cooled interior air into the system to make the system more efficient at heating/cooling. The defrost settings use fresh outside air.

I would say you could remove them but at least try to make an exit vent somewhere..... use f-body door jamb vents or maybe in the hatch or something just to be safe.
Personally, I hate it when the windows fog up due to poor ventilation.

My old VW Bugs(non-vented pre '70's Bugs) always fogged up until I learned to open a vent window to move the moist air that I had exhaled inside the cab to the outside. Sure, it was a bit colder, but at least I could see!
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: those crazy side vents on wagons

Postby HotfootGT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:09 pm

Correct. Flow Through Ventilation. The vents on the hatch perform the same function for the hatchbacks. Don't remember how they did it on the notchbacks.
Howdy from Hotlanta
73 Kammback "Little Buddy"
62 Skylark 215 CI Aluminum V8
71 Dodge D-100 Sweptline
HotfootGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Return to Restoration Tips