Stripes and basecoat/clearcoat

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Stripes and basecoat/clearcoat

Postby 78spyder » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:46 am

Obviously this has a lot to do with individual manufactures of paint, but I believe the right way to do a stripe would be over the basecoat before the clearcoat goes over it all to reduce raised edges on the stipe. This being the case anyone ever do it? I'm wondering how long a (typical)base coat needs to sit before masking can safely be applied. I'm going to write the manufacture as well, but opinions here are always welcome.....
78spyder

Re: Stripes and basecoat/clearcoat

Postby v8astregt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm 50/50 on which way the stripes can be laid down. Under the clear is a nice custom touch, but over the clear is more period correct, and gives the correct look and feel. As far as waiting times, it's been a few years, but you should be able to lay tape on basecoat within around two hours to be safe, maybe sooner you just have to use your judgement, since basecoats flashes pretty quickly. On the other hand, you can't let the basecoat sit for 24 hours, then clear it and expect it to hold together. You have a certain window from basecoat to clearcoat.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby 78spyder » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:19 pm

If I lay stripes over the clear, do I use another clearcoat over that too, or just use a single stage paint for the stripe?
78spyder

Postby Andreasu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:28 am

I'm just 16, but i've seen they put down the primer, then paint (two-three layers i guess), Then sand it down with fine sandpaper. Then mask up the stripes and paint them on. Then the clear coat comes, But i might be wrong. You can always buy stickers :lol:
Andreas Unes.
1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder (305, 5.0l) (http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26801)
Andreasu

Postby T-FATTY » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:30 pm

I like and if i ever get to painting my car the old school look. Matte/semi gloss black Yenko stripes over the final paint.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Return to Restoration Tips