interior plastic

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

interior plastic

Postby vegadude » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:42 am

whats the best product to paint interior plastic panels ? looking for 2 part paint system not spray can
vegadude

1971 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: interior plastic

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Not sure what you mean by a two part system, but if you go to any auto paint store they can mix up interior dye to match your interior. This is automotive quality paint and must be sprayed on with a spray gun. It's ready to spray right from the can. This is what I used for some of my interior pieces. Spray can interior paint can also work well but you have limited colors to chose from. The important part is the prep which we can get into when you are ready.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby vegadude » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:15 am

some of the parts are deteriorated from the sun and comes off if you scrape it with your fingernail soft and flakey
what i ment by 2 part is a catalized paint maybe with a flex addative .i figure something like this would put a nice strong
finish similar to car paint
vegadude

1971 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby 73Sedan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:39 pm

OK, this MAY sound stupid, BUT:

I've been working with a product for a few years now that we use to seal holes in the rooftops of steel shipping containers. It is a process where we brush on the product, lay a cloth sheet down, and brush over more product. Basically it turns to rubber and uses the cloth as a strengthening agent to fill voids.

It is HYDRO STOP. A commercial roof coating that you won't find at the Depot or Lowes, but any commercial roofing distributor will know of it. (Also known as "panel-seal")

The product itself nearly turns to rubber (very odd, as it is WATER based!!)

My theory is to shoot the HYDRO STOP (THIN LAYER) over over the plastic panels, then can be sprayed with ANY desired color from that point.

The HYDRO STOP is pretty thick and we are only able to spray using air-less equipment (paint cups are too fine of a mist to efficiently lay the product down) ALSO, it doesn't react well to being thinned before spraying.

OK, so what I know is: we use this stuff on container tops....it's hard enough to walk on....it stays elastic for years (I just removed some from a unit we had out on rent for the last 4 years), and once dried, it never changes shape (unless removed and bent like paper).

Back to my point: I know I can spray this crap thin enough to surround the ENTIRE part (saving the mounting tabs and screw holes), paint to my desire, and know that it'll withstand any amount of heat built up in the car.

$0.02 - maybe worth it??
73Sedan

Postby AusRs » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:27 pm

my plastics were a bit dry and flakey ,i rubbed it all back with sandpaper and finished it off smooth ,i then bought a product that is used on plastic bumper bars (unpainted) to give the factory finish ,its a single pack product that goes through a spray gun ,,,,,in aus its made by K&H products .....not sure if that name will help BUT it came from a crash supplies place NOT just an auto parts store
hope that helps
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby toddnl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:13 pm

What is the best way to prep for painting? Is that the way to go or is dye better? Is the prep work the same? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
toddnl

Postby Fastmax32168 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:29 pm

SEM makes the nicest dye I have yet used on interior panels. They also make a product called plastic prep that you can use to wipe them down with first.
You should be able to get both at your local bodyshop suppy store.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:48 pm

The plastic prep slightly softens the plastic and opens the pores for good adhesion. Wiping down with wax and grease remover or thinner works well too. You just want to make sure it is absolutely clean and free of any grease or silicon products.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby toddnl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Most of my plastic is very chalky and somewhat brittle. Can i sand this down before I use the prep and dye? Once remove the backs of most pieces are solid its just the areas that were exposed to the sun, Thanks for the responses guys. This is very helpful.
toddnl

Postby Fastmax32168 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:21 pm

Yes you want to get all the chalky stuff you can off and get down to some solid plastic that isnt degraded before you paint it.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby conn.rod » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:18 pm

if you don't have time too do it right the first time
how do you have time too do it over a second time
conn.rod

Postby trf1965 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 pm

i took my monza panels to the car wash and sprayed the dry sun baked layer off then used a 80grit da paper to scuff them applied a coat of bulldog bonding agent then epoxy primed them then i used two part spot putty to fill any deep places sanded and then applied a clear chip guard on kind of dry to texture it then sprayed my vinyl dye mixed by my paint store had to tint it a little darker to match the seats i was amazed how great they look
trf1965

Postby monza75tc » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:57 pm

Tri-

Pictures please, nice to see how they turned out.

Dick
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby ck1971 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:18 pm

I sanded mine down and used a spray can product from Rustoleum designated for use on all types of materials. It has what they call a "hammered finish". It's different yes- but I like it. Having a very slight texture, it helps to hide imperfections in the old panels. I guess only time will tell of the durability.... :)
Charlie
The older I get, the more I like older cars.....
ck1971

Return to Restoration Tips