Front lower control are sheet metal damage; suggestions?

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Front lower control are sheet metal damage; suggestions?

Postby Todd TCE » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi all,

So I finally got back onto the Mirage project with the car in a nice rotis to make things simple. Simple leads to complex. Like complex damage to the lower right front (trailing) control arm mount. Yes all that nice formed sheet steel has some serious damage. So, with that in mind before I post up some pics of what I have accomplished so far and what needs to be done...who's the resident expert on such repairs??

First question: are you supposed to be able to pass an alignment rod through all four of the slots having both the front and rear bushings in line with each other? Obviously on the R side that's not even close. (yet) On the L side it's close but no cigar. Figure I need to either make the R like the L or both are in need of some love.

Second q; is it feasible to graft a complete assortment of sheet steel from one car to another. I'm sure anythings possible, just wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Lastly; any source for replacement stampings? Yea...I didn't think so!
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Re: Front lower control are sheet metal damage; suggestions?

Postby gerbsinmd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:19 pm

sounds like a typical problem on the V8 cars. My sister had one that did what it sounds like you are describing. We took it to a guy that put it all back together, by welding up the cracks, and then welding plates to sandwich the cracked metal.

I don't know the specifics of the alignment of all the holes tho.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Todd TCE » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm no frame guy for sure but so far a torch, some BFHs and some assorted other 'tools' have move this pretty easily. I am however stuck on the rear plate and related curved bulge area of the stamped steel.....arrrgh!
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby gerbsinmd » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:48 am

If your a "Blue Wrench" kind of guy Heat and a BFH will shape the metal accordingly.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2011 Impala - commuter

gerbsinmd

Postby res0o7eb » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:04 am

gerbsinmd wrote:If your a "Blue Wrench" kind of guy Heat and a BFH will shape the metal accordingly.
I have never heard of that term before, but in the context I figured it out and sure enough Wikipedia got it right:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxy-fuel_w ... nd_cutting

Another 'lesson' learned right here on h-body.school. :)
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby Ishiftem » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:10 pm

I use the term gas wrench. I have the specs from Fisher for the unibody measurements. I will try and scan and upload them later. Probably in the general section.
Any one can restore a car but, it takes a real man to cut one up.
Ishiftem

Postby gerbsinmd » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:32 pm

How about "Gas Axe"???? My dad and I used that all the time!
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2011 Impala - commuter

gerbsinmd

Postby Todd TCE » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:06 pm

Wow, some specs would be cool! And actually the damaged side is the L not the R....looking at it upside down doesn't help any...!

So I pulled a reman'd lower control arm out of the storage tub and as you'd suspect; one can pass a rod through both bushings without issue. Strangely you might argue the arm is beefier than the frame it's bolted too. Not such a good plan. Anyhow my racing experience says the arms should be in the same plane and I probably need to whack the other side square some also. Once all done some strategicly placed reinforcements may be in order.

Takes me back to Q's"

Can anyone pass a bar through all four lower holes and are they supposed to be in alignment as I think?
And has anyone tried to graft some other sheet metal from a donor car onto this stuff with any success?

*I'll try to get some pics
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby Todd TCE » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:11 pm

PICS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:23 pm

not sure if its me , but there looks to be NON factory welds in a few areas

hows the car doing on the rotisserie ? ive been thinging of getting 1 to help out with mine
Last edited by 72 SS PNL on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Todd TCE » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:40 pm

After heating and moving things around to get to this point you can see how slapping a curb could move these cars out of whack in no time. Just a few loving hits with the rubber BFH shifted some of it back near where I wanted it! Not sure about missing welds but there's a chunk of now missing sheet steel! When I began the fold now welded to the 'rail' under the box were 1/2" above the rail and there was a 1/4" gap in the 90^ bend at the "bottom" of the box in the right corner. I managed to move it all back somewhat where I figure is should be and welded up the corner seam. (both shown pic 2)

The rotis was from a buddy of mine who did a helluva job! For $625 I could not have asked for more. We wanted the center open and it worked out well. Only problem was that using the bumper dampers it's off center and when rolled...well it kept on rolling...! Don't ask about how things are inside. I don't open the door.
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:50 pm

opps typo , meant NON factory welds , like something was repaired at some point in the cars life
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Todd TCE » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Lack of spot welds, yes. Most of what you see is from me, however there are some remnants of the former repair but not shown. Nice piece of 1/8 bar stock welded in place with more grape hanging than even I can manage- I removed most of that. What's left I need to smooth out once I factor some gussets. A ways away from the cosmetics yet...
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby Todd TCE » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:35 pm

So...I am back on this entire project once again. This year we spend less on the race car and more on the street car. Or so the plan.

Opted to replace this entire assembly. I have a local shop who plans to remove the entire inner fender area and replace it. With one fully cut from a doner car a bit south of here. We shall see.
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby Todd TCE » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:31 pm

Got a full section for replacement on this mess. Now after tweaking it some in my shop it's at a body shop and going on a bench to be (hopefully) pulled straight and done up right. Thinking we'll get the front square, the door hinges looked at and the door latch post on the B-pillar fixed this time around. Then I hope we can get to the nice stuff in a few more months.

****Looking for info on a replacement rubber boot for the lower steering shaft joint. I'm thinking this is not good.... :?
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Return to Restoration Tips