Rear Hatch Lock

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Rear Hatch Lock

Postby KevinG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:57 am

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or the body section. I'm ready to start on my '77 Monza that has been parked outside (in Ohio) for about 10 years. I bought it new so it has sentimental value so I'm going to give it a try. First off, I want to clean it in and out and assess the damage to see how far it is out of my ability to fix it. Right off the bat, the keys won't turn the locks anymore. Not a big probem on the doors as they have been unlocked. Does anyone have a tip for opening the rear hatch if the key won't do it? I don't think there is any release on the inside is there? My other project is a 1966 GTO convertible. The previous owner lost the trunk key so he used a hammer and a socket to smash the lock through so he could open it with a screwdriver. That is the worst body damage on the whole car. So please don't offer a tip that involves a hammer and socket together. Thanks.

KevinG
1977 Monza Spyder - 1 owner
305 4 speed posi Aqua Blue Metalic
Kent Ohio
KevinG

Re: Rear Hatch Lock

Postby AusRs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:05 am

this is from memory
go through the interior of the car with a set of sockets and undo the the striker plate on the inside and open it that way
alternative is to soak the lock with wd40 and warm up the key with a cigarette lighter ,sometimes that will work
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:20 am

Its easier than that. All you need is normal sized screw driver

Fron the inside, remove the rear plastic cover, Somewhere on the latch mech on the upper left hand area you'll see a gap between 2 pieces of metal. Just insert the screw driver and twist and trunk wil pop open.

Its hard to explain the exact spot to put the screw driver, but it's not really that hard to find.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby AusRs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:05 am

marco_1978_spyder wrote:Its easier than that. All you need is normal sized screw driver

Fron the inside, remove the rear plastic cover, Somewhere on the latch mech on the upper left hand area you'll see a gap between 2 pieces of metal. Just insert the screw driver and twist and trunk wil pop open.

Its hard to explain the exact spot to put the screw driver, but it's not really that hard to find.

hey thats correct as the tab from the lock does not go all the way through !
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Return to Restoration Tips