smelly panels

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

smelly panels

Postby monzabug350 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:50 pm

I posted my problem on my project journal but got no answers.Asked my friend (body/fender tech) and he suggested baking soda.Sooo..bought 3 boxes of Arm&Hammer at Dollar General,made up a mixture of water and soda,Made a paste close to tooth paste,applied with a 3' paint brush,coated all surfaces,and set it out side in the sun for a day.Then washed it off with water,blow dry and gave it the sniff test.Smell gone,panels smell fresh! It leaves no residue,and dosent discolor the panels.
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Re: smelly panels

Postby monza75tc » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks, nice to know. Thank your friend also.

Dick
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Re: smelly panels update

Postby monzabug350 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:15 pm

After I had cleaned my panels with baking soda,I some portions where the texture was worn off.I figured I would paint them and checked out this thread.After reading all the comments I figured out the amount of time in prep was more than I wanted to do.Sooo I bought a soda blaster from Harbor Freight and a bag of blasting soda and went to town on the panels.When I was finshed the panels had a smooth finsh and wiped them down with warm water and blew them off with hp air.I wanted to get the orignal texture as possable and did a little shoping around at Advance Auto and came across some VHT wrinkle paint,bougth a can to experiment with and took it home and following the instructions.The finshed product looked close enough to satisify me,so I did the rest of the panels in the same way.You can see my first attempts here under "panel restoration". PS,enlarge the botom pic to see the VHT I used.
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Restoration Tips