Need Fiberglass Fenders, Facia, Good... Suggestions?

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Need Fiberglass Fenders, Facia, Good... Suggestions?

Postby MonzterMtrSprt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 am

need the whole front end for my dads secret restoration and was wondering how the quality is in the unlimited products fiberglass replacements?? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Check out my 79 Monza Build thread
viewtopic.php?t=36350
MonzterMtrSprt

Re: Need Fiberglass Fenders, Facia, Good... Suggestions?

Postby Nocash » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:52 am

MonzterMtrSprt wrote:need the whole front end for my dads secret restoration and was wondering how the quality is in the unlimited products fiberglass replacements?? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

All i can say is DON'T use Showcars Unlimited! :cuss:
My Cars:
1977 Chevy Monza Sport 2+2 / 5.7 Liter
Nocash

1977 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Brian » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:00 am

Some threads regarding Unlimited Products fiberglass

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19584

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16137

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22683

General opinion seems to be pretty poor.
Then came the churches, then came the schools
Then came the lawyers, then came the rules
Then came the trains and the trucks with their loads
And the dirty old track was the Telegraph Road.
Brian

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:29 am

Most of the members of this board seem to agree that Show Cars Body Parts can't get anything right, but now Unlimited is getting painted with the same brush. We need to remember that ALL of the companies that produce fiberglass parts are mostly making them for RACECARS; that means they aren't perfect or "show quality". They're designed to be a lightweight replacement ,not a perfect copy.
I keep a list of fiberglass part suppliers bookmarked; I just checked and unfortunately Glasstek, US body Source, Harwood and Rod'nRace(Scott Rods) don't make a Monza nose piece. The only one I could find was the Unlimited MZ-108. It looks like a "race style" part, so if you're looking for perfect it's probably not for you. Strangely enough, these companies offer more Vega parts than they do Monza; maybe not all that strange considering it appears the majority of Vegas still out there are mostly found at the dragstrip.
P.S.- As a side note, I'm in the process of buying an Unlimited nose piece for my Vega race car from one of our forum members(Vega45); at 135-140mph I don't think anyone will notice if it has a few ripples or doesn't fit like factory. :wink:
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby monzajer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 am

I bought a Monza nose from Unlimited Products(UP). As Spence said, if you are looking for perfect, these guys are not for you. Please, understand these buttheads make parts for race cars not showcars. The part(s) have fallacies, no doubt. If you want to spend the money and then TIME to get the part to your liking then maybe UP is the place. I was highly PISSED when my part arrived. Talked to them MANY, MANY times to get them to take the part back and they just gave a line of crap every time I called them.

I would attach my thread, but the server isn't letting me get into that right that now.

Not many places make 'glass parts for our cars, so selection is VERY limited.

Some guys like UP, some don't. Buyer beware: If you purchase and are not happy be VERY, VERY ready for a run around. They will run you around with so many lies and excuses, it may eventually wear you down. I believe that is what they intend to do.

Whatever you choose, good luck and have fun.

cheers, jer :mrgreen:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby cosworth0135 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:53 pm

I got you Jer, viewtopic.php?t=23256 read this before purchasing Timmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby monzajer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Timmy, thanks for posting the thread.

As I said "buyer beware"

cheers, jer :mrgreen:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby cosworth0135 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:31 pm

this guy has a header panel for the quad light car and is close for me if you want to contact him and send me to have a look see for you http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/2856601361.html Timmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:21 am

Hi I found a link from one of our sites but I couldn'tfind it just now, but the company website is up22.com in cali, they show a 75 > 80 Monza front facia with head light mounts already installed (street car?) the facia is a blend of the 2 styles of 4 light fronts. I didn't find this site until after I paid Showcars and waited 17 weeks for my parts that he promised in 3. But sounds like this is more of the same just like Rob Johnston's Showcars Good Luck Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Restoration Tips