74 Vega 4 banger

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

74 Vega 4 banger

Postby laxrocks20 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:55 pm

My dad just gave me a 74 Vega gt that I've always wanted. I want to know what the pros are to keeping it a 4 cyl. I have a350 sbc I was thinking about putting in it.
laxrocks20

Re: 74 Vega 4 banger

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:45 pm

It's all a matter of what you want and your budget. Obviously keeping the 4cyl engine is going to be a lot cheaper than dropping in a SBC. Even though you have the engine there are a lot of other parts and costs involved. Engine mounts, frame mounts, an H body V8 oil pan ( a standard one won't fit) exhaust manifolds or headers, a exhaust system, getting a correct length driveshaft, upgrading the radiator are just a few of the things you will have to deal with (and pay for). Of course the end result is a great little performance car that will turns heads wherever it goes. Some people like to maintain stock vehicles while others prefer to modify them. You have to decided for yourself what direction you want to go and determine if you can pay for it. Whatever you choose to do you will get a lot of help from people on this board.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: 74 Vega 4 banger

Postby sportriderok » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:44 pm

You could always keep the 4 for now, and build up parts for a V8 swap as you drive it.
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Return to Restoration Tips