console glue

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

console glue

Postby my79monza » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 pm

On my 79 the vinyl is separating from the console on each side of the shifter.
Has anyone tried gluing this area?
If so what glue was used Liquid Nails??
Thanks, Merle
my79monza

Re: console glue

Postby Stonebird » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 pm

I used urethane windshield adhesive to reattach some loose pieces on our old Cherokee door panels. I've used it for attaching other things too. It's pretty permanent. Just don't get it where you don't want it. Once it cures it won't come off.
Stonebird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Re: console glue

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:29 am

Merle for that or any other glue you could use painters tape to protect the areas you don't want the glue on. I believe these and the other interior panels originally used contact cement ,tough but hard to work with once it touches it isn't coming off for another 20/25 yrs. Stonebirds idea made me think of another product that may be usefull to you "Gorilla Snot" or weatherstrip adhesive, if you will the nickname is a little vulgar but an important descriptor (very stringy) and very strong glue for rubber/plastic to steel. All of the above glues are pretty tough with slightly different properties some more flexible than others W.S. Urethane very flex' Contact almost none.Hope this is handy for you P.S. I would try all of these on some scrap pieces first as it wouldn't take much to cause some expensive damage. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Restoration Tips