PAINTING A VEGA WAGON

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PAINTING A VEGA WAGON

Postby texasgilbert » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:17 am

Ok, So the mix is with the reducer, right? I'm now leaning towards the Summit brand urethane paint, any one out there with experience with that brand? And the mixing part is with the reducer. I should get a fast drying reducer since I'm, in South Texas and it's HOT :censored: Are urethane paints better than lacquer? All the show cars when I was young were painted with lacquer ( I'm 53 ). Then it seemed like the urethane paints took over and lacquer painted cars had to stay out of the sun and in the garage all the time for fear of losing it's shine and fading, etc. So how about Summits urethane paint? Is that better? It's still in my price range. My painting buddy passed away and I'll be doing this car all by myself. No show car or anything , just a nice car with a paint job. I can sand, shoot primer, wet sand but I'm a little scared when it comes to shooting the actual paint. I'm making my son a Ghostbuster car so I'm buying a gallon of white, primer and clear (3 gallons). Then I need a quart of red and black for the logos on the door. so that's 3.5 gallons altogether. at 4:1 mix I'd need a gallon of reducer also, right? Boy, I'm not looking forward to this but I promised my son I'd do it so I'm needing all the help I can get. :? Thanks Guys for all your help. You Guys are a great bunch of Guys just like at the Chevelle forum. (Sorry about that). Those Guys are also more than willing to help anybody with their Chevelle [problems. Gilbert
texasgilbert

Postby nutt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:15 am

Sorry, I'm backwards, happens when you get our age! Fast reducer is for cold, slow is for hot days.
nutt

Postby texasgilbert » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:26 am

Got it. I just found a new word also, ACTIVATOR. What the heck is that and what is the mix for that? :shock:
texasgilbert

Postby nutt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:05 pm

activator is the catalyst for your clear coat or single stage paint. It's usually mixed 4:1:1, 4 parts paint, 1 reducer, 1 activator.
nutt

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Hey Texas G It is time to get your son involved He will probably be much quicker at picking up the info from the instructions and internet then us older guy's (we have ideas in our heads from days gone by that are sometimes getting in the way of what is needed now, I am 52 so I am feeling your situation with all this change, my last paint job was with the "new" "Acrylic Enamel" paint and now I have none left in stock so I have to learn the new stuff too!) The activator is the material that hardens the paint, it has been called hardener in the past as well ("B" part in epoxies). Urethane paint as well as epoxies are very poisonous so full protection is required much, much, much, more so than the things we used to use 10+ years ago, such as suit and full face respirator with fed or remote air hook up. It's a good thing we are switching to environmentally friendly materials, since these can do substantial harm immediately, has to be better for the environment, family your and neighbours and anybody else within a couple of hundred feet, (please excuse my sarcasm I believe in protecting this earth, but the answer has to protect it not make it worse!). The "VOC" numbers are Volatile Organic Compounds, the higher the number the more negative the effect and potentially flammable/explosive it is! I hope we have helped you get a clearer picture inspired to jump in there and do it. Remember this is for your son so I feel he should have some "Sweat Equity" in this project and I think a Vega wagon as the GB cruiser should be cool, so now you need to learn to post pic's so we can see! Have fun Harry (And what Nutt said)
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby texasgilbert » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks again Harry. I think I'm going to go with the urethane paints that Summit has. It actually came out cheaper and that was buying more products too. I got a gallon of White, quart of Red, quart of black, 5 sets of filters and sticks, gallon of 2k primer, 2 gallons of paint thinner, 5 quarts of reducer, 5 painters pails and 4 quarts of activator for a total of $370.20. Does that sound right to everybody or should I buy more of something? Thanks again. Gilbert
texasgilbert

Postby texasgilbert » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:16 pm

I forgot to show you guys the car. I started it in mid September to make it to the Realmscon convention in Early October. I finished putting on the bumpers, luggage rack, etc. about 2 hours before I hauled it Downtown. Just made it. Still needs motor, trans and cutting and buffing but I'm working on my Chevelle to sell now. I'll get back to the Vega soon, I hope. Gilbert
texasgilbert

Postby texasgilbert » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:31 pm

That's my son in the other post. Every time I try to put 4 pics it says forbidden so here's more pics.
texasgilbert

Previous

Return to Restoration Tips