Great Paint for plastic interior pieces

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

Great Paint for plastic interior pieces

Postby robert123 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:55 am

Got this Rustoleum Paint for Plastic at Walmart for $6.oo a cab in the auto-body section. I had 2 windshield pillars that needed to be painted.
One side looked like a B+ ......... and the other side looked worn... and Scaly.... (D-).
Convenient directions:
1- Wash interior plastic pieces in your bathtub..... any liquid soap... and a common soft scrub-sponge. (I used light pressure --
even on the bad, scaly spots.)
2. Dry with a fluffy towel --show it you care.
3. Use a piece of wire (coat hanger or?) to hold plastic piece -- so you can paint all the angles -- and not your hands.
4. Apply 2 light-medium coats a few minutes apart....easy...just like normal paint. This will give you great coverage & excellent results.
5. Hang up to dry. Dries to touch in 30 min..... to handle in 24 hours..... and fully dry in 5 days.

THIS STUFF WORKS GREAT.... GREAT COVERAGE... [b]BOTH PIECES LOOK BRAND NEW!! Goes on kind of thick. This is great news if you want great looking gloss black interior plastic pieces.[/b]

Question... does anyone know if I can paint these pieces flat black enamel in a spray can? (Flat black will match the interior better.)
Seems like it would just take 2 coats. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Re: Great Paint for plastic interior pieces

Postby Ckill » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:38 pm

I use to own a car audio shop and we did lots of custom work. Anyway we used SEM brand paint actually a satin finish and when we sprayed it we would spray it several inches away which would help to give a nice texture on the part and let it dry well between coats this method keeps the solvent in the paint from causing the texture from flowing or flattening out. Lost of light dry type coats and then a little bit wetter coat for the last so you have good coverage.

Just some info to pass along that works very well.
Ckill

Re: Great Paint for plastic interior pieces

Postby waybad » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:04 pm

great tip :th:
Tinker
waybad

Return to Restoration Tips