H-body front seat ideas ?

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

H-body front seat ideas ?

Postby robert123 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:16 am

Front seats in my Vega are falling apart (orig, seat covers are ripped .... foam exposed......tears....... rusty and breaking lower spring and wire supports, etc.)

I've heard Camaro seat from same years can fit (though they look Bigger).
Also read that S-10 seats may fit........

Anyone have experience with seats that are a good bolt on? Any direct bolt-ons?
If necessary, I can drill holes into the floor pan and stick a small plate on the bottom of the floor pan to beef up the area.
Also, I can go to a local wrecking yard.......or craigslist..... or buy something newer if needed.

Thanks for you help. :mrgreen:
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Re: H-body front seat ideas ?

Postby cammerjeff » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:55 am

The Base seats from a Camaro or Firebird are the same exact seats as the delux seats in the same year Vega or Astre. The seat rails from you Vega must be reused. I do not have any other models experience.

So if you car has the smaller base seats the Camaro seats will be taller. The only difference between the Camaro or Firebirds Base/Delux seats are the seat covers, the upgraded Camaro seats will also work.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby robert123 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:50 am

cammerjeff wrote:The Base seats from a Camaro or Firebird are the same exact seats as the delux seats in the same year Vega or Astre. The seat rails from you Vega must be reused. I do not have any other models experience.

So if you car has the smaller base seats the Camaro seats will be taller. The only difference between the Camaro or Firebirds Base/Delux seats are the seat covers, the upgraded Camaro seats will also work.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

Any other front seat ideas that have worked ?
robert123

Postby Kenova » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:47 pm

I haven't measured them, but the seats in my son's Cobalt SS look like they would fit. They sit close to
the floor so you would have room for any adapter brackets and they look to be the same size as the
seats in my Vega.
I haven't sat in them for much more than a half hour but they seem comfortable enough.......... and
that black leather looks pretty snazzy. :th:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby Vega2008 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:21 pm

I purchased two new front seats from JEGS for my 1975 Vega Hatchback, they cost 294.93 each with free shipping.

Scat Pro 90 seats series 1300 seat Black Vinyl part # SCAT 80-1300-51L (left side) - Has headrest

Scat Pro 90 seats series 1300 seat Black Vinyl part # SCAT 80-1300-51R (right side) - Has headrest

The brackets from Scat Procar for a Chevy Vega were on backorder when contacting JEGS, so I went with a different company to mount these.
I used brackets from a company called WEDGE instead, they fit closer to the floor which worked very well for me as I have a tall torso.

These seats fold forward and recline all the way back, I am extremely happy with my seats, and I Installed them myself.

I have a few pictures of them installed, if you want to see them, email me and I will send the pictures to you.

If you are on Facebook give me you name and I can send them directly from my phone pictures.

steinerts@mindspring.com (home email)

Mike - Vega2008
Vega2008

Postby shortchevy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:25 pm

I used Saturn sc/sl seats in my 76 wagon. They took very little fabrication to get them in and were perfect in size. I plan on picking up another pair for my sunbird. They made them in a couple different configurations too, adjustable headrests or not. Cloth or even some knock off leather
shortchevy

Postby MonzaRacer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:33 am

So my plan has been to cut recline mech off some random import buckets wth hole directly behind my shoulders, welded the hing/ recline to Monza base, then opened up seat back and cut/narrowed bottom bar rewelded. I now have hog rings and pliers. But think there is a local lady who may be able to pinch and narrow the old seat covers and re sew them.or add more foam. I really like seats but were too wide. So decided to justcut them up. So far so good. Do need to find some unrusted support cross springs.Monza foam seems ok but if I use foam from others I guess I could cut and narrow the foam to Monza frame. My plan to narrow upper cover makes me wonder if narrowing seat cover might work on base also. Had idea of buying industrial sewing machine and do it my self!
MonzaRacer

Postby SeniorSavage » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:36 pm

new seat rails available from Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... el/skyhawk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The fleet;
1975 Buick Skyhawk 3.8 V6 turbo - total restore ongoing (soon!)
1996 Fleetwood Bounder 36' Ford 460 TBI motorhome
2004 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic 88ci 1450cc. - custom original.
2005 Ford 500 Limited (wife's car) - working original.
2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LS VorTec 4200
SeniorSavage

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby jpb04619 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm

i have a couple of vega seats i took out upstairs in my garage,tracks still attached.......i.m in canada but could arrange shipping from maine.....probably 100.00 each plus shipping

john b
jpb04619

Postby robert123 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:40 pm

shortchevy wrote:I used Saturn sc/sl seats in my 76 wagon. They took very little fabrication to get them in and were perfect in size. I plan on picking up another pair for my sunbird. They made them in a couple different configurations too, adjustable headrests or not. Cloth or even some knock off leather

Do wagons have the same front seats as hatchbacks??????? I think they do.

I'm leaning toward the Saturn SC or SL seats. I only want to spend about $100 max each for a seat.

Thanks for all the information and options :D
robert123

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:18 am

Robert I think the hatch, wagons, and coupe all share the same seats, as you mention. The wife and I had a first gen. Safari, those seats look narrow enough for an H-Body, and were very comfortable to me, definitely reminded me of my Monza's seats, those should be real cheap now. They also look appropriate for our cars. IMHO. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Restoration Tips