1978 Interior Paint Color

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

1978 Interior Paint Color

Postby mikebrow74 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 am

I'm restoring a 1978 Spyder that has some replacement parts installed, namely the rear hatch. Is the inside color of the hatchback body color or is it blacked out? I'm painting it Ultramarine Blue with Black interior.
mikebrow74

Re: 1978 Interior Paint Color

Postby Brad C » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:32 am

In my 1975 Skyhawk, the inside of the hatch is the primary color of the interior. My car is red with a white cloth houndstooth interior and the interior of the hatch is white. It is not a gloss white but rather about 80% gloss. Hope that helps.
Brad C. 75 Skyhawk, 70 Buick GSX, 71 Buick GSX, 87 Buick GNX, 2 86 Buick Grand Nationals and a host of other Buicks.
Brad C

1975 Buick Skyhawk

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 am

I'll 2nd what Brad C wrote. My first Monza was originally the light blue colour of that year and hatch area inside was a "Satin?" black [black int.] current car is red on red but interior is even less glossy [but it is 40years old and originally from California so some sun damage would be expected] in the hatch area. I plan to create a cover for mine and I am going to use headliner material for that, Clyde has covered his and he went with the carpet material, he as a pic or three on here somewhere and after looking I would be surprised if you don't end up with that mod on your want list. I think both would definitely be a huge upgrade in appearance. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mikebrow74 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks Guys,

My car was an original Silver with Red interior. Exterior was repainted once to a Black or maybe a Dark Gray, It was sitting in a field for years so it's hard to tell. I am repainting/dyeing everything. In addition to pulling the interior and dash, I have pulled bumpers, doors, hatchback to jamb everything before the full exterior paint . Lots of tempered glass squares throughout the interior and some poorly repaired damage to the rear panel. I'm sure the hatch was replaced (4 layers of paint) and the interior of the hatch was rattle can gloss black.

Thanks for the direction. I'll be stripping and repainting to Satin Black to match the new Black Interior.
mikebrow74

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:08 pm

As far as how I finished my hatch with carpeting, here is a pic. I ended up mounting it with trim screws as the velcro I initially used would not hold with the heat from the sun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Restoration Tips