headliner board

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

headliner board

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:48 am

The headliner board in my 75 Monza was shot. I decided to make a new board out of 3/16 foamcore which I purchased at the https://setshop.com in Manhattan (sign shops may be able to get this also). I used the old headliner board as a template. The original headliner had creases to help match the roof contour. I made a template from the old headliner for the curved sides. For the rear crease I measured 5 3/4" from rear edge and the front crease I measured 7 1/8" from rear edge. I used an old headlight adjuster from a Corolla with a rounded end to lightly indent the surface of the foamcore for the crease lines. I test fit the board and determined it fit best if the front overlapped the sides in the corners by where the visors mount. Because of the added thickness of the foamcore compared to the original board there is a hard edge where the pieces overlap. I beveled the front and back edges respectively so the pieces would be flush where they overlap.
I ordered a sample card for headliner from https://www.albrightssupply.com/. There is a note that sample card may vary from actual material, so I ordered samples of the material also. I chose weh1810x gray material which was slightly different from the material sample. I don't know if they screwed up the tags they attached to the material samples or what but I used what they sent - it is close enough.
I watched a few videos on youtube before gluing the material. The original headliner had foam in the rear corners to push the board down against the roof mounted seat belt mechanism trim. I found some similar foam at the hardware store. I had a piece of reflectix silver insulation that is intended for attics that I attached to the back side of headliner board. I am hoping this will reduce interior heat in the summer.
I used DAP Weldwood Landau Top and Trim Aerosol Spray Adhesive to adhere the material to the board. After cutting headliner material slightly oversize. I folded it in half and sprayed 2 coats of adhesive to the board and headliner and let it set a few minutes until tacky. I used a roll of towels to spread the headliner material slowly onto the board working from the center to the edges and then moving forward and repeating.
Make sure your hands are clean. wear thick gloves so as not to leave finger depressions in the foam. Line the board up with the dome light hole. Make sure the front is overlapping the sides and push headliner over tabs on sides. Reinstall trim.
It came out pretty good for my first try.

You are going to have to wait until I figure out how to resize photos for more details
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonzaMa ... 383718057/
monzaaddict
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:04 pm


Return to Restoration Tips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

     
cron