above the hoodliner

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

above the hoodliner

Postby AusRs » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:12 am

here goes
you have the foam backed material then the board that it glues to
above that you have a cardboard based material sandwhiched between the framework and the sheetmetal .....the sheetmetal of the roof is NOT primed and when removed mine showed signs of surface rust ......removal is a pita as it was fitted at time of manufacture ,have to break it up to remove
suggest anyone that removes the lining also remove the cardbaord and treat the surface rust
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby ozzymoose » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:10 am

Hear ya Steve, and what the??? Card up there, sounds like a rust magnet to me. Are you planning to put something else up there??
If it aint broke hit it with a sledge hammer!!
ozzymoose

Postby AusRs » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:12 am

i have rust converted what i could get to ,removed as much of the cardboard as i can
will fishoil it and before i put it back together i will use spray on body deadener ......any other thoughts ?
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby ozzymoose » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:35 am

MMMM, how bout some sort of dessicant put above the hood liner to soak up any condensation that may get traped in there, seen this long life sheet stuff a while ago, supposed to last ages but i cant remember for the life of me what it was called. I will keep looking and see if i can come up with a name for you.
If it aint broke hit it with a sledge hammer!!
ozzymoose

Return to Restoration Tips