almost a roadracer

Moderator: Moderators

almost a roadracer

Postby mldeolde » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:34 pm

street IMSA : NO HEATER,RADIO,NO AIR CONDITIONING. DOES HAVE : big power,big disk brakes, and a rareity factor of about 9.75 out of ten. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby gerbsinmd » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:38 pm

But it doesn't run yet, does it??? Granted it does look sweet!!! And it sure isn't your average car.

It sure does have a great stance!!! Love how those wheels and tires look.

Darrel
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby bill1978v8 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:59 pm

I saw 9 or 10 of those on the way to the store tonight, just your run of the mill... oh wait, thats not a mudstain! Your car is way cool! I'd love to see it going through the corkscrew at Laguna Seca or anywhere for that matter!

Bill
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mldeolde » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:09 pm

ME TOO BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!! it could have been back off the jacks a long time sooner but i just couldn't see just throwing things together that would end up breaking just to put it on the road. that's why i'm so,so ,happy i have my new block coming. the factory 4 bolt would run the hp numbers but there was a definate possability of it grenadeing one day.and withouthe the conversion to the m-22 gears in the trans there would soon be tranny soup inside it. got my 4" DRIVE SHAFT THE OTHER DAY SO THAT POTENTIAL DRIVELINE FAILURE HAS BEEN HANDLED TO........
mldeolde

Postby monzagtracer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:29 am

She's looking good!! Just keep working on her little by little. I have a second roadracer on the way, so maybe we could enter a vintage race together. HSR races twice a year a fontanna, that should be just north of riverside. : )

Joe, monza gt registry
monzagtracer

1976 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby mldeolde » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:11 pm

Joe don't know if i ever saw your car,have seen Mark Swart's over the top bb vega road racer. POST SOME PICS IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!! love to see it or see it again if i have before.
mldeolde

Re: almost a roadracer

Postby Astre-mutt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:46 pm

Here's some of the IMSA Vega's pics I have been saving. A couple are of the BB Vega you where talking about. Awesome Cars!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:30 pm

That last one is really cool. Give all those imported Nissan Skyline Gtr's a run for there money, lol.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby mldeolde » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:51 pm

more like he'd take all thier money. a 600+ HP ALL ALUMINUM ,FUEL INJECTED BIG BLOCK IN A FULL ON TUBE CHASIS ROAD RACE VEGA SHOULD SCARE ANYTHING SHORT OF THE NEW COREVETTE FACTORY ROAD RACE CARS. WOULD PROBABLY REALLY DISTRESS THE OWNERS OF THOSE VIPERS AND COBRAS , BOTH THE REAL ONES AND THE WONABE MUSTANG VERSIONS THAT FORD HAS SEEN FIT TO PRODUCE FOR THE NEXT GENERATION YUPPIES OR GENERATION X OR WHAT EVER THE LABLEING IS NOW DAYS. :dance: :dance: :dance: NOTHING LIKE A SLIGHTLY RETOOLED OLD CAR TO GIVE A GUY IN A NEW CAR FITS---------------------- :idea: :wink:
mldeolde

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:36 am

Bruce, do you have the picture of Mark's car from the rear? I can't find mine. The car is registered and licensed for the street.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby mldeolde » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:21 pm

yes dick i think i do . i'll see if i can dig it up and post it............... :wink:
mldeolde

Postby mldeolde » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:35 pm

here is that picture of that ausume little street road racer...........and the happy owner :dance: :dance: :dance:
mldeolde

road race engine headachs

Postby mldeolde » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:37 pm

here is the latest pics of my bowtie block long rod 345 cu in motor for the IMSA. latest valve train fiasco- this isthe secound shaft system purchased for this enginewith assurences it would work on my application of bowtie block and a set of BRODIX spec heads based losely on the Track -1 castings. the first set i got, an off shore design had zero offset on the intakes so there was no way they would work. the secound set i just got from Comp Cams isn't right eighter. can't believe it. i asked for specs on this set to verify the offsets of the intakes especially because my ruff measurements indicated an .350 off set was in the ballpark for the intakes. Comp Cams told me to double check with Brodix because they said thier set has .170 offset on both the intakes and exhaust. talked to TECH dept at Brodix aand gave them every number on the heads to help verify thier specs. they told me the .170 intake offset would work but they prefer a .250 intake offset. given that info i bought the set and test mounted them on the head on the block. useing the Comp Cams pushrod check tool which is a 5/16 inch rod it rubs, tho just barely, on the side od the intake ports but the rod also hits even worse on the top of the head area where the pushrod passes thru. what a deal. two of the biggest players in the game both agree that the setup will work and both wrong. some thing fishey here. i'm bigining to think that the heads have a different port configuration than the numbers seem to indicate. the spaceing seems to indicate that the -10 Brodix heads have the port configureation that i have and Brodix says the will bolt on my heads and work with thier.450 intake and 0 exhaust offsets but then again they told me the other set would work too. going to take the engine to one of my brothers friends engine shops to get a secound opinion on weather or not to buy a -10 shaft setup or something else. my brother says this is the most modifacations he has ever had to do to a small block chevy-ever-!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mldeolde

Postby mldeolde » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:56 pm

JUST ANOTHER POST SCRIPT.. MY BROTHER SAID THAT NORMALLY HE WOULD JUST CLEARENCE THE HEADS IN THE PUSHROD AREA AS NEEDED BUT SEEING THAT THIS SET HAS HAD THE PORTS REALLY ENLARGED THERE ISN'T REALLY ANY PORT WALL THICKNESS LEFT TO SAFELY GRIND INTO THO HE DID SAY HE COULD CLEARENCE THE TOP OF THE HEAD FOR PUSHROD CLEARENCE TO HE HAS NEVER EVER HAD TO DO THAT BEFORE. AS I SAID BEFORE . DOING SOMETHING THIS DIFFERENT CAN PROVE REAL CHALLENGING WITH ALL THE "unknowns" WITH THIS CAR. ANOTHER DAY ANOTHER CHALLENGE. ANYONE WANT A SHAFT SYSTEM "offshore" FOR STANDARD 23 DEGREE HEADS? i have a set you probability could talk me out of real cheap right now.............. :bang: :cuss:
mldeolde

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 am

Are you using a flat-tappet or roller-tappet cam? If you are using the roller, are you using centered or offset seat lifters? Sounds like you need as much clearance as you can get.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Next

Return to Road Racing and AutoX