Time Trials at Pocono

Moderator: Moderators

Time Trials at Pocono

Postby ck_carnut » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm going to be running my first track event on May 2 at Pocono Raceway. It's a morning of dirving instruction followed by time trials in the afternoon. I'll be taking my Cosworth. I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do. 8)

I've autocrossed a few times, but this will be very new for me. Any hints from those of you that have tracked your cars before? :D
My fleet:
'75 Cosworth Vega #1103
'77 MG Midget
'91 BMW 318is (the next project)
'00 Ranger (Parts hauler and occasional tow rig)
'09 WRX (her DD)
ck_carnut

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Re: Time Trials at Pocono

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Here are some tips I would suggest:

1. FLUSH YOUR BRAKE FLUID! You definitely want fluid without moisture in there.

2. If you haven't packed your front wheel bearings in a while, now would be a good time to do it. This way you can inspect the bearings, rotors, pads, and hardware while you're at it.

3. Perform a "nut and bolt." Put a wrench on any important fastener you can reach and check for proper torque. On the track is a bad place to find a loose component. Inspect all radiator and brake hoses.

4. Make a checklist of tools, parts, lawn chairs, EZUps or anything else you don't want to forget to bring. My memory isn't usually all it should be on race day.

Since you've autocrossed before, you already know about the torque wrench, air gauge and pump/tank, food, lots of water or sports drinks, etc.

5. HAVE FUN!!

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rpoz-29 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 am

Make sure there is fuel available nearby. If not, take some because you're going to burn it faster than you ever thought a 4 cylinder could.
rpoz-29

Postby bugdewde » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:33 pm

I've only autocrossed my '73 once..... it's a hoot. Not the tire shredding power of the '79 T/A, but extremely fun, none-the-less.
It's all about how predictable the car is and using that info for setting up for the next obstacle in a manner that will allow you the fastest entry/exit of the obstacle.

An instructer pointed out two things that really improved my times during a school session where he rode with me as a passenger and then as the driver.
1.) Attempt to run the rear tire over the base of the cone you're turning on. You won't hit it, due to the inertia of the rear moving out..... usually!!!!
2.) Look ahead. Do not focus on the turn/cone you're turning on..... look at the next apex so you will be setting up for it. The one you're turning on should already be set up and driven past.... don't worry about it. (do not look in your rear view mirror to see if you hit anything) .... look for the next apex.

There's tons of tips out there........
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby mldeolde » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:07 am

concentrate,be smooth,be your own biggest competition. by the end of the day you should learn a lot about your ability to judge both you and your cars ability and how to put them both to thier best use on the track. you'll be pumped ,exhausted,and yet fully refreshed by the expierience. good luck. have fun. :dance: :dance: :dance:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Return to Road Racing and AutoX