Anybody running manual steering at SOLOII type events?

Moderator: Moderators

Anybody running manual steering at SOLOII type events?

Postby olds70supreme » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Just like the title asks, I am looking at options for my Starfire in case the power steering pump does not fit. I could go manual gearbox, stock power gearbox w/ lines capped off, or separate electric power steering pump.

I would love to keep the power steering but a separate pump may be more expensive than I want to deal with right now.

The stock gearbox with plugged lines is the easiest and cheapest, but I'm thinking the gearing isn't going to be conducive to numerous abrupt turns.

The manual gearbox is a fairly simple solution but I am not sure how easy it will be to turn this thing back and forth on the course. I'm thinking I can deal with it but wanted to see if other people who are already running this setup can chime in and give some advice.

Thanks.
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Re: Anybody running manual steering at SOLOII type events?

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:28 pm

I run my Cosworth in high speed events with a 16:1 manual gearbox. It takes a little more effort to turn than the stock 22:1, but I certainly like the lessened amount needed to turn better.

My V8 car had this same gearbox in it for a long time before I changed it to power steering. It took a little more effort because of the V8 and the wide 17" tires, but it certainly was drivable. If you have the way to keep the power steering, I really like the 12:1 Monte SS box a whole lot better.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Anybody running manual steering at SOLOII type events?

Postby rpoz-29 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:56 pm

I've run Vega's with and without PS. My '73 has PS, but the real advantage is the 2.8 turns lock to lock, as opposed to 4.4 with the standard manual steering. The only issues I've ever had with PS is occasionally, in a very tight slalom, it can't keep up. It also takes a little horse power to spin it.
rpoz-29

Return to Road Racing and AutoX