Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Moderator: Moderators

Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby avewhtboy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:36 pm

I attended the Summit Racing Equipment Motorama at Atlanta Motor Speedway for the autocross they were running today.

It's a good chance to get a bunch of laps in for testing and fun. I made about 5 laps today but the course was so tight
my front tires were rubbing badly during most of the turns. I had just installed a 245/35/18 but until I get my hands
on some adjustable lower control arms to get the wheel moved more forward they had to come off.

Heres a link to some video. More coming tomorrow hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCyDuQc ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgzcSNLYT4o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuivpku1CBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl47XEY3xmQ
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia


Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby tinsfci » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:47 am

:th:

I agree the course look tight. Is the digital speedo in some of the videos showing right speeds?

Is there a chart somewhere one can look and compare with other cars that were entering the same course?
User avatar
tinsfci
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:48 pm

tinsfci wrote::th:

I agree the course look tight. Is the digital speedo in some of the videos showing right speeds?

It was clearly not logging accurately. It was my first time using it and I am not sure I had it setup correctly. The second day it appears
it was a little more accurate like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iUxyhHVhh4

Is there a chart somewhere one can look and compare with other cars that were entering the same course?


There is a list of competitors with times online somewhere i will have to find it. I was in the back unfortunately but was fun none the less
and the car and driver have lots or room for improvement.
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia

Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby tinsfci » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:31 am

I use to be in the back as well when I drive my Monza at the track :lol:
I also agree that it is FUN anyway. The engine sounds nice too :th:

(My thread is here if you don´t have seen it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24282 )
User avatar
tinsfci
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:16 am

tinsfci wrote:I use to be in the back as well when I drive my Monza at the track :lol:
I also agree that it is FUN anyway. The engine sounds nice too :th:

(My thread is here if you don´t have seen it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24282 )



I just read through your thread again, any updates? been a while.

Back when I was researching my Astre project I recall reading your thread and that being part of the reason I scrapped the whole
suspension on that car.

Are you still tracking it? would love to see any improvements you made.
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia

Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby bugdewde » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Rick...... love the sound. It doesn't matter where you placed, as long as it was fun, it's worth it.
I learned to not be so optimistic early on when I started autocrossing a Vega. I was 3rd from last.... just ahead of a 16-year-old new driver and a new-to-autocross lady.
I had dreams of showing those SCCA guys what a Vega could do..... that didn't last long.

When we get to Cruisin' the Smokies, we can wring our hearts and cars out ..... but we're still huge underdogs. My competitive side wants to surprise all those big name rigs with a respectable finish, or some spectacular driving..... but once again, that dream won't last long.

That software seems to be lagging behind..... I can see it would be a cool tool to use if it were not so lagging. Run your run with it, then put it in Finch's car and compare sections between the two cars...... or have Finch drive your car and compare the two drivers...... how dis-heartening would that be? I'd probably never autocross again. Lol.

Anxiously awaiting the next two weeks to see/hear your car in person.
Dwight

'73 Vega GT Hatchback, mostly stock....
'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
User avatar
bugdewde
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: East Tennessee

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:41 pm

bugdewde wrote:Rick...... love the sound. It doesn't matter where you placed, as long as it was fun, it's worth it.
I learned to not be so optimistic early on when I started autocrossing a Vega. I was 3rd from last.... just ahead of a 16-year-old new driver and a new-to-autocross lady.
I had dreams of showing those SCCA guys what a Vega could do..... that didn't last long.

When we get to Cruisin' the Smokies, we can wring our hearts and cars out ..... but we're still huge underdogs. My competitive side wants to surprise all those big name rigs with a respectable finish, or some spectacular driving..... but once again, that dream won't last long.

That software seems to be lagging behind..... I can see it would be a cool tool to use if it were not so lagging. Run your run with it, then put it in Finch's car and compare sections between the two cars...... or have Finch drive your car and compare the two drivers...... how dis-heartening would that be? I'd probably never autocross again. Lol.

Anxiously awaiting the next two weeks to see/hear your car in person.


Hey Dwight Thanks for the kind words. I had hoped with seeing Jeff Schwartz success with his car the Vega might have some potential and I still
believe the "platform" does have lots of potential but my car is well off that at the moment.

Short list, better/bigger tires, fix the front steering geometry, add power steering and add about 200hp.

Those would make the platform competitive even if the driver (me) was not. I picked up 6 seconds going to a smaller
front tire. Had I been able to run with the larger front tire i am sure it was worth a second or two more which would have put me
with the pack but still lagging the Finch's of the world.

I rode in one guys 69 Camaro with a set of BFG Rival and they really stuck well. Of course they were 275 or bigger but was a noticeable difference in tires traction.

My fastest time with the smaller 225/35/18 tires on the front was 45.9, Finch and that crowd with "r" compound tires were running in the 38 range.
Most of the fast cars were in the 42 range. So that was my target 42-43 which with the bigger front tires may have been possible.

I hope to see you in a couple weeks but I have a medical problem which may cause me to cancel unfortunately.
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia

Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby bugdewde » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:31 pm

avewhtboy wrote:
I hope to see you in a couple weeks but I have a medical problem which may cause me to cancel unfortunately.


Wow.... that sucks. Best wishes and good luck.
Dwight

'73 Vega GT Hatchback, mostly stock....
'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
User avatar
bugdewde
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: East Tennessee

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:04 pm

User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia

Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:17 am

Tires make all the difference. I've tried different brands on the Vega with mixed results. The tires I want to buy aren't offered in the combination of sizes I use on it. I use Toyo R1Rs on the Miata - they are amazing both dry and wet on the track, but I haven't done much cone-crossing to tell you how they would work there.


Chuck
cosvega76
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Moscow Mills, MO

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Summit Motorama 2016 Atlanta

Postby tinsfci » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:04 am

avewhtboy wrote:
tinsfci wrote:I use to be in the back as well when I drive my Monza at the track :lol:
I also agree that it is FUN anyway. The engine sounds nice too :th:

(My thread is here if you don´t have seen it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24282 )



I just read through your thread again, any updates? been a while.

Back when I was researching my Astre project I recall reading your thread and that being part of the reason I scrapped the whole
suspension on that car.

Are you still tracking it? would love to see any improvements you made.


I still have my Monzas, but I haven´t been tracking since the last post. (2009! thats crazy how fast time goes by... :? )

No more mods has been done either. But I have NOT given up!
User avatar
tinsfci
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2


Return to Road Racing and AutoX

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest