Autocross - Cruisin' the Smokies 4/30/16

Moderator: Moderators

Autocross - Cruisin' the Smokies 4/30/16

Postby bugdewde » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:19 pm

My first H-body autocross in about 8-10 years.
My first H-body autocross with a 215 V8, ever.
Kammback 90.jpeg

Kammback 200.jpeg

38 entrants in the streetcar class (not Pro), I placed 30th. 7.1 seconds behind the leader (2016 Z06).

Here's a breakdown of my runs.
1st: 54.744 (DNF - off course :lol: )... (without a walkdown of the course.... as I was a bit late getting there)
2nd: 52.076
3rd: 50.939
4th: 50.558
5th: 51.338
6th: 52.314 (attempted in 2nd gear)
7th: 52.504 +1 cone (2 second penalty added)
8th: 51.039
9th: 49.218 (fastest time of day for me)

OK..... so just to put things in perspective, most ALL of these entrants were HIGHLY modified vehicles. We're talking 600 hp LS power, DSE/Ridetech suspensions and mini tubs and 315-335mm wide Rival tires.
My lowly Vega wagon barely deserved to be on the same track as these AWESOME rides.
I have a Spyder 1.125" front anti-swaybar with poly mount and end link bushings. Everything is stock H-body (except the 180 HP 215 & the poly swaybar bushings).
The course was extremely tight, and I had my best runs just staying in 1st gear. The 2.56 rear gear with a 3.4:1 first gear helped me to keep the lil' 215 in the power.... at most times.
Mind you, I was the only one on 13" tires (street tires at that), so lack of traction in the tight turns (along with too much entry speed) caused quite a bit of push..... which was pretty good at slowing me down, but correcting it took 4 turns of the steering wheel back to neutral then another 4 turns in the other direction to complete the next turn..... very tiring with all that turning back and forth. A quick-ratio steering mechanism would have been a huge improvement.

I had a BLAST..... I was really proud of the Kammback. Decent power(enough to get loose in some corners with the LSD), decent brakes, and the larger front bar really improved the overall handling (want a Spyder rear bar, now).
It got quite a few looks/points/giggles. The announcer/starter would make comments everytime I staged.... like "Going to pick up the kids?" "Bring back some eggs, bread and milk.... don't break the eggs." etc. All in good fun.
The tech guy said, "4-lug wheels? .... Man, you're brave." ( I didn't tell him my V8 only weighed 320 lbs).

Sooooooo........ I now have some 5-lug S-10 axle shafts.... I need some 5-lug vented Monza rotors..... that will let me mount my 16" IROC wheels... and maybe some decent tires. Quicker steering? Naw.... probably won't happen. It's not a track car..... it's NOT a track car..... IT'S NOT A TRACK CAR!!!!!!!!

A buddy mounted his GoPro on the Kammback. Hopefully in the next few days, he'll download it to youtube, and I'll post a link.
Here's a vid of his Duster making a 46 second run:
https://youtu.be/kzL6gT1Ez48
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bugdewde on Sun May 01, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Cruisin' the Smokies 4/30/16

Postby bugdewde » Sun May 01, 2016 1:05 pm

The first action shots of the Vega Kammback. Copied from Facebook.

Hmmmm..... you can tell it's all stock H-body stuff. Look at that awful inside tire geometry.
far.jpg

Close.jpg

Yep, I was smilin'. That run with my hat on was the last run of the day for me (rain)... it was my fastest run. I was really enjoying that one. I made a conscious effort to look ahead further..... really improved my times.

45.jpg

Had a good bit of push on the faster/tighter turns. Guess I need that Spyder rear anti-sway bar now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

bugdewde

Re: Autocross - Cruisin' the Smokies 4/30/16

Postby avewhtboy » Sun May 01, 2016 5:09 pm

good times! hard to believe after all these years two Vegas finally at the same event. Without Schwartz car I was losing hope for us H-body guys
avewhtboy

Postby Monza Harry » Mon May 02, 2016 9:33 am

Awesome Dwight! :th: :D :mrgreen: A 7.1 second spread is pretty tight with 30(+) cars and with you driving without the benefit of tires [real sticky ones anyway]. Waiting not so patiently for the Vid'. I haven't seen any stock rear bar bigger than the 3/4" one. Someone will chime in if there is. My first Monza didn't have a rear bar and I added it WHAT a difference! the aftermarket has rear bars up to 1.0" I bought one for my car [Addco]. Glad you had fun and I am sure many of us are WAYYYYY Jealous! :mrgreen: Harry :burn: :burnout: :D
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby tinsfci » Mon May 02, 2016 9:59 am

:th: :th: :D
tinsfci

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Thu May 05, 2016 9:11 am

Since I can't find any vega vid.... here's Finch in the baddest 2nd gen Camaro in the land.
https://youtu.be/XkBxIazTJNk

Finch playing with his drone.

https://youtu.be/HR3ooSKTxkM
https://youtu.be/e6t8fmafhvs
Last edited by bugdewde on Thu May 05, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby rpoz-29 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:23 am

"If" you do build a track car, build a notchback, or a hatchback. The wagons have a bit more flex, (the notch being the best of the three). I remember a local guy who would have the tailgate open on his wagon from time to time and it was relatively stock. Also...what group put on the event? Most groups would have made you wear a helmet.
rpoz-29

Postby bugdewde » Thu May 05, 2016 6:06 pm

The Vega Kammback autocross Video !!!!

https://youtu.be/Jl_SCwetGmw
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby avewhtboy » Thu May 05, 2016 9:56 pm

great video angle get inside and outside
avewhtboy

Postby tinsfci » Fri May 06, 2016 2:08 am

:th: :th: :D
tinsfci

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Fri May 06, 2016 7:55 am

rpoz-29 wrote:Also...what group put on the event? Most groups would have made you wear a helmet.

This is an event that is put on by a local individual, Bill Howell, a local cabinet maker/carpenter. He is well known in the hobby, mostly with the Pro-Touring crowd. He promoted the American Streetcar Series a few years ago and even had a tv show "Are you faster than a red neck" on Speed channel. Most of his events were named "Run to........ " Music City (Nashville), Old South (Charlotte), Hills/Smokies (Pigeon Forge), Alamo, Shore, etc...
His events are the best events ever. Lots of sponsors that donate door prizes, awards and even dinners at the events.
Detroit speed & engineering, Ridetech, American Powertrain, Schwartz, BFG, as well as many lesser-known builders are always in attendance.

His philosophy isn't all about winning and times. Its about car guys getting together and enjoying each others company, getting lots of runs and eating well afterwards. They are usually 2-3 day events. Of course, he has a supporting cast and cant do everything himself but they are no doubt, Bill's events. I can't say enough good things about him.

His 2 or 3 somewhat local events(I don't haul/travel) a year have "spoiled" me to the point that I rarely attend the numerous local SCCA events.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby mahoy78spyder » Fri May 06, 2016 10:11 am

avewhtboy wrote:good times! hard to believe after all these years two Vegas finally at the same event. Without Schwartz car I was losing hope for us H-body guys

Are you talking about Jeff's "Flying Turd" Vega? The one that got wrecked a few years ago?
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby avewhtboy » Fri May 06, 2016 12:50 pm

mahoy78spyder wrote:
avewhtboy wrote:good times! hard to believe after all these years two Vegas finally at the same event. Without Schwartz car I was losing hope for us H-body guys

Are you talking about Jeff's "Flying Turd" Vega? The one that got wrecked a few years ago?
Yes I am saying ever since that car was
crashed I wondered if we would see any more Vegas out there competing.
avewhtboy

Postby mahoy78spyder » Fri May 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Brian and Bill are funny guys... really know their stuff too. I've seen Brian perform on the track during the Optima Batteries USCA (Ultimate Street Car Association) events last year... can't remember what Bill had. Hope to attend a couple of them again this year as well. Ironically, another USCA Camaro driver I know (Jim Stehlin) is a cabinet maker/professional carpenter too. What is it with carpenters and road-carving Camaro's? :lol:
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Return to Road Racing and AutoX