Steering components for racing

Moderator: Moderators

Steering components for racing

Postby avewhtboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:43 pm

So my steering wheel has quite a bit of play in it which got me looking for a new drag link, idler arm and inner and out rod ends to tighten things up.

This got me to wondering what sort of performance parts would fit our cars? I was wonder about buying some circle track components from Speedway.

Maybe something like this with Vega inner tie rods? Pictured here is for a 78-88 G-Body, will that fit our cars?

avewhtboy

Re: Steering components for racing

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Have you confirmed the looseness is in the linkage? The box itself could be worn and is adjustable.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby avewhtboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:45 pm

hammerdown7 wrote:Have you confirmed the looseness is in the linkage? The box itself could be worn and is adjustable.

Dick

Hey dick, I have confirmed I need a new idler arm and a new center link but you are correct it could be in the box and will address that as well. I am hoping the
box is ok it came out of my Astre which was still running. It seems tight but I have a buddy that bought a kit and rebuilt his a little while ago so I will
get that done if need be. Also plan to replace the rag joint.

I think billet tie rod adjusters are about all there really is to do to these. Maybe I will just do that. I was thinking swedged tubes, bumpsteer kit.

Anyone have a power steering center link for sale or is there an alternative after market setup that could be made to work? I notice speedway sells
components to make your own center link
avewhtboy

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:39 am

I am not sure about the racing components but just replacing the original parts with new quality replacements will eliminate the play in those pieces. However, I agree that the "play" may not be limited to them and what you are feeling is probably more from the original steering box. These had variable ratio boxes which means they have a slower ratio on center and goes faster as you get more steering input. So, basically they are "slow" when first turning. I had my box rebuilt and converted to a straight 12.7 :1 ratio along with a higher pressure control valve for a bit more road feel and it tightened things up nicely. It also eliminated the play. You probably still have the original rag joint which should be replaced. I had quite a thread on this a few years ago......My main concern with heim joints is the potential noise associated with them, again these are race parts where noise is not a factor. Good quality parts with once or twice a year greasing can last 100,000 miles ........
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Road Racing and AutoX