Rear suspension action during autocross

Moderator: Moderators

Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby avewhtboy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:19 pm

I took a video of my rear axle during the recent test and tune autocross session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTaSWwBXSys
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia


Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby tinsfci » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:54 am

Cool! :th:

But as you commented the video yourself: It´s very hard to see whats actually going on, you have to buy one more GoPro and then sync them ;)


(And psst... It says "...Feb 1017..." in the beginning of the video)
User avatar
tinsfci
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:16 am

Very little body roll; the car looks to be we well "buttoned down". It does look like at one point that it actually picked the inside tire clear of the pavement in a tight turn.
Impressive.
The "fleet"-
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.45@146.19)(6.01@117.28 1/8th)
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (work truck/parts hauler)
04 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
93 Suburban- 350/4L60(retired)
00 Saturn SW2- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- younger son's project
00 Saturn SL2- daughter's car
98 Saturn SW2- spare
and 3 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
User avatar
spencerforhire
 
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:02 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 am

tinsfci wrote:Cool! :th:

But as you commented the video yourself: It´s very hard to see whats actually going on, you have to buy one more GoPro and then sync them ;)


(And psst... It says "...Feb 1017..." in the beginning of the video)



Yes I noticed wrong date but i dont really care since about 5 people will see it!

And you are correct about needing a couple more cameras to sync the views together would be great.

On Friday I ran over my Gopro and its suction mount. Luckily the camera still works but I destroyed my universal mount so I only had the one
spot to mount it. I had another suction cup mount for my phone but it wasn't cooperating, kept falling off the windshield, was planning to video with that
as well. Alas best laid plans don't always work out
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia

Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:48 am

spencerforhire wrote:Very little body roll; the car looks to be we well "buttoned down". It does look like at one point that it actually picked the inside tire clear of the pavement in a tight turn.
Impressive.


Hey spencer, it feels better than ever but the surface was so wet it's hard to say for sure. I was sliding in every corner which was fun and great practice for me with car control which
is what I have been really wanting for a while. The driving characteristics of this car are still not known but seems to be changing for the better.

The car in the past had a real bad tendency to push. On that wet surface the front stayed really planted, it was the rear that was loose. Finally was able to steer with the rear of the car either locking the brakes or goosing the gas would pivot the car around the front tires. Hopefully it stays that way on a dry surface.

As far as it picking up a tire, that's exactly why I put the camera back there. It felt like if it wasn't picking up a rear tire it was close to it. The forward momentum seemed to be lacking coming out of the corners I think because the posi doesn't work well when one of the tires is lightly loaded. It will just spin whichever tire is lightly loaded.

I probably should have taken the rear sway bar loose for the wet conditions but not that serious just trying to get some seat time.

Thanks for checking out my video thread and commenting !
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia

Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby tinsfci » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:59 am

Have you seen if there´s other videos from other cars from the same event?

I would like to see how the track looked to get a better understanding of your handling
User avatar
tinsfci
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:59 pm

I noticed in the vid that your rear sway bar has links to the frame instead of just bolting to the LCA's. It that a custom piece?
The "fleet"-
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.45@146.19)(6.01@117.28 1/8th)
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (work truck/parts hauler)
04 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
93 Suburban- 350/4L60(retired)
00 Saturn SW2- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- younger son's project
00 Saturn SL2- daughter's car
98 Saturn SW2- spare
and 3 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
User avatar
spencerforhire
 
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:02 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:48 pm

spencerforhire wrote:I noticed in the vid that your rear sway bar has links to the frame instead of just bolting to the LCA's. It that a custom piece?



It the sway bar that was on the S10 Blazer I took the axle out of. I shortened those links but not enough though they haven't dragged on anything yet, unlike my side pipes!
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia

Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:03 pm

tinsfci wrote:Have you seen if there´s other videos from other cars from the same event?

I would like to see how the track looked to get a better understanding of your handling


I found one if you start his video at 12 seconds in and mine video at 1:47 during the second run, they match up pretty close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tgXVLOnQFI
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia

Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby tinsfci » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:37 pm

avewhtboy wrote:
tinsfci wrote:Have you seen if there´s other videos from other cars from the same event?

I would like to see how the track looked to get a better understanding of your handling


I found one if you start his video at 12 seconds in and mine video at 1:47 during the second run, they match up pretty close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tgXVLOnQFI


THAT made it a bit more real :D
SCCA_Test_n_Tune.jpg
SCCA_Test_n_Tune.jpg (62.52 KiB) Viewed 66 times
User avatar
tinsfci
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Rear suspension action during autocross

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Yes those times match well thanks!

tinsfci wrote:
avewhtboy wrote:
tinsfci wrote:Have you seen if there´s other videos from other cars from the same event?

I would like to see how the track looked to get a better understanding of your handling


I found one if you start his video at 12 seconds in and mine video at 1:47 during the second run, they match up pretty close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tgXVLOnQFI


THAT made it a bit more real :D
SCCA_Test_n_Tune.jpg
User avatar
avewhtboy
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Stone Mountain Georgia


Return to Road Racing and AutoX

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest