Need help with set up, ladder bars and 12 point with 8.5 sli

Moderator: Moderators

Need help with set up, ladder bars and 12 point with 8.5 sli

Postby BigTruckDriver » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:52 pm

I am looking to start getting parts for the 75 vega. I have contacted Chris Alston chassis but they said their kits are only for cars that are backhalved :? I want to run ladder bars but would like ideas on setting this up. Looking to do something like the guy from SWT fabrication, run it with stock rear wheel wels and 8.5 X 26" slick. I have tried to cantact him also but have not got a reply. You guys know where I can get a ladder bar kit ?
BigTruckDriver

Postby Astre-mutt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:12 pm

All the major chasey companies sell the ladder bars separately, most with the cross brace for the front mount. Should be able to mount it to a good set of frame connectors. The roll cage will help tie it all together. Look for a set of ladder bars that will work best for the type of driving you'll be doing. There's a lot of different types of front bushings on the ladder bars, and adjustability.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby spyder_xlch » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:13 pm

ChecK his website for contact info.
http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/swtracing.html
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rtm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:49 pm

art morrison has nice ladder bars, ladder bar crossmembers can be purchased through summit or jegs ,I highly recommend a book called "doorslammers" by dave morgan. that and some patience & hard work will get you started. i would post pics if i were farther along w/ my car but I ran outa $$ so i'm on hold. good luck.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby BigTruckDriver » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:36 pm

I am still looking for info on this. Like I said not really looking to cut anything up.
BigTruckDriver

Postby Fasterthansome » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:16 pm

Why not just leave it stock style? Should be able to go fast.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:06 pm

You can just use any ladder bar setup and fabricate the mounts and crossmember for the front joints. Tie it all in to a set of subrframe connectors.

Jegs, Summit, speedwaymotors, they all sell the ladder bars and kits.
MOst of them already come with the crossmember if you get the kits.

Ladder bars will hang down and require more clearance under the car...or reduce ground clearance.
Ladder bars would take just as much fabrication as the torque arm setup but its your car so do what you want with it....just make it go fast.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby BigTruckDriver » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:41 pm

I am trying to run a E.T. right around what the SWT car and I dont think the stock links will cut it.
BigTruckDriver

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:59 pm

There are many torque arm cars in the 9's.

Plenty of F-bodies and a few vettes.

Some new control arm mounts and a fabricated torque arm would support a 9 second habit.

whichever way...cool

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby King Monza Mike » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:08 pm

I have the complete alston CW set up. I havent set it up and I think I am going to stick with stock suspension now. If you're interested in it let me know. Its the double adjustable kit w/ coilovers and the adjustable cross link.
All motor, stock suspension, small block, on a radial, daily driven, 10 second car, sucka!
King Monza Mike

Postby jdandboo@hotmail.com » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:57 pm

hmm-this is something i havent thought about in a long time-but-it is time for me to start again,,hey???-ok,,,as far as i remember there used to be a replacement rear lower control arm that acted like a traction bar-anybody remember the produck i am thinkin bout-and what would be other drawbacks to "ladder bars"-personally i always thought they looked cool,lol
my monza is gonna be comin out of the body shop soon-and next stop,rear,,i got the 3:23 posi(still thinkin bout 3:73's-since i plan on runnin a 200r4 tranny)but-with the clearance probs with ladder bars these always stuck in my mind
jdandboo@hotmail.com

Postby Fasterthansome » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:47 am

BigTruckDriver wrote:I am trying to run a E.T. right around what the SWT car and I dont think the stock links will cut it.

I thought there was a picture on here of a white Vega with yellow stripes going wheels up on a little tire and stock suspension.
If I remember correctly it was pretty quick too.

Your Vega is factory 4 link?
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby heinz057 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:20 am

i have 200r4 in my wagon with 3.73s. i had 3.23s . it runs and drives better with the 3.73s
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby 10secvega » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:22 am

If you add the Alston subframe connecters.You can tie your ladder bar crossmember into those.I'll have to dig uo the companies name but they will make you any length ladder bar you want.
This is pictures of my Brothers Monza factory shocks and springs with a ladder bar.

Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

10secvega

Postby Fasterthansome » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:15 am

Ladder bar a monza :cry:
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Next

Return to Drag Racing