proper burnout

Moderator: Moderators

proper burnout

Postby katostud » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:03 pm

im looking for the proper burnout techneque from some of you more expirenced drag racers. i took my car to the track for the first time last year and couldnd heat up the tires foot breaking the car just wanted to go sideways. i have a th-400 tranny. now i have a line lock and would like 2 know a good burnout techneque ?
katostud

Postby King Monza Mike » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:25 pm

a line lock with an auto? what kind of tires?
All motor, stock suspension, small block, on a radial, daily driven, 10 second car, sucka!
King Monza Mike

Postby katostud » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:27 pm

plain bf goodrich radials freebys my dad had laying around. i got the line lock cuz i cant do a burnout footbraking cuz the car wanted to spin sideways. but i wanna know how 2 do proper burnout ?
katostud

Postby speedphreake » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:45 pm

I roll up to the water box, spin the tires a little in first gear to get them wet, the pull forward just to the edge of the water. Put the trans in 2nd gear and set the line lock. Quick hit of the gas to get the tires spinning, get the rpm's up where I do my burn out, 6,500 for my last car, shift to 3rd, keep the rpm's up for a couple seconds. Let the line lock off and let the car roll forward still on the gas and slowly let off the gas as the car rolls up to stage. That's how I do it and it works for me.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby spyder_xlch » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:05 am

Do you think those BFG's will hook better if you heat them up? Just asking. I don't think it'll matter much.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby v8astregt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:35 am

Heating up radials won't do anything but wear them down faster. If there is any difference, it's marginal.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby BillPappy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:59 am

I'm sure they would like that big ball of lose rubber you leave laying on the track
trying to get them bf goodrich radials to hook.
Yada Yada ..

The things I done trying to get street tires to hook.

Get a used tire with little tread. Wrap tire with towels. Just the tread. Soak towels with lighter fluid for few days. This will soften the rubber.Clean tires with acetone before leaving for the track. Change tire when you get there. Only good for 1 run.
OO yea IF you try heating them up your back to hard rubber :)
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

Postby speedphreake » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:26 pm

A burnout will clean the tire off which will help with traction. Heating the tires a little will help. You'll need to try different length burnouts till you find the best for that tire. Heat them up too much and they get greasy and won't hook. So heat them a little, but not too much. I was able to get a cheap Pepboys tire to 60' the same as a BFG drag radial so it can be done.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby gerbsinmd » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:05 pm

I agree with Jeff, you can make a difference with a burnout on street tires. It knocks .3 off my 60' with my dad's Malibu. Granted its still not great but its a difference between 2.3 60' times and 2.0 with his car. Also the launch techinque makes a big difference too. I knock another .2 off if I don't bring the rpms up too far. If I bring the rpms up over 1500 on the launch I just smoke the tires. Below that it brings the front up hard enough to make it bang on the top of the travel. No light under the tires but it pulls it up good.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Jackie McCracken » Sun May 04, 2008 9:23 pm

For street tires best bet is to stay out of the water, in fact drive around the water and stay away from it. Water will get into the tread and run down and you will be sitting puddles on the starting line which will not improve your traction and really piss off the guy behind you!

For sreet tires, drive around the water, do a dry burnout to clean them off and stage.

For slicks, DO NOT spin your tires in the puddle or you will sling water all over the inside of your wheel wells and once again be sitting in water on the line when it drips down. The best burnout for slicks depends on a lot of variables, tire manufacturer, type, compound, size, etc. Ask the manufacture what is best for their tire and your type of car. DO NOT do any dry hops, make a decent move away from the water before you let off so that you are in the clean and dry when they stop spinning and immediately stage to keep them warm. Dry hops take the heat out very quickly so avoid that unless you are profiling fro your girl friend.

If your car is going sidways on the burn out it is because one tire has more water on it or the track it is running in. It's important that the water spots be equal size and wetness.

In my Malibu I just roll through the water to get them nice and wet, go past the "puddles" to where the pavement is wet but no standing water. I put the car in high gear and put it on the rev limiter at 7k. I do not use a line lock or other aids just a long smoky funny car style right to the line to stage.

Jackie McCracken
1978 Firenza - I am the orginal owner
Jackie McCracken

Return to Drag Racing