My fathers day gift

Moderator: Moderators

My fathers day gift

Postby steelhead » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:06 pm

My family has been going to the local track with me since the season started. Its mainly an oval track but they run 1/8 mile street drags on open Fridays. We've been having a blast, but they kept trying to get me to try my car. My family is all girls, a 9 year old and a 23 year old, with the wife in on it to boot, they gave me the enterance fee in my fathers day cards. Was told that was all it was allowed to be used for.
So I had a week to figure if my car was ready to take the abuse, or if I was ready to abuse it like that. With a couple new black patches on the road and a few full stomp highway trips I figured it was ready. I've kinda been babying it with only about 6 hundred miles on the new motor.
Well it was hot here Friday so it was kinda cookin sitting in the car, dripping just sitting there but nerves might have been helping that too. First timers run alone first pass, turned out it was my best time of my 5 passes 9.12. I got 4 passes in trials and 1 pass in the competition, I know, OUT IN THE 1st ROUND!! Bad thing is I got beat on a holeshot, I never got the light down, again nerves maybe.Staff said"when you see the amber GO." I thought I was but only got one pass with reaction less than 1 and that was the competition pass. So I guess I did improve and learn something.
All 5 passes were 9.1 to 9.3 and my group time is 9.00 to 9.99 so I'm at the right end. I want to get better off the light, but man it happens so fast once your ready its hard to remember what happened for next time.
All in all it was a blast, would love to go again. I had a friend come in with me to help,turns out he knows the half owner of one of the fastest cars there a 69 Camaro. He thinks he'll get a ride in it,they let riders along in the trials. I want a ride in a 66 Comet that looks like a wild ride,jumps all over all the way down the track. These 2 are usually the final in the 6.5 and under class but I guess theres a couple faster Camaro's being rebuilt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
75 2+2
76 2+2
77 Astre Formula
78 Monza Wagon
steelhead

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: My fathers day gift

Postby HotfootGT » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:33 pm

Looking good. Love the 4 bolt fronts and 5 bolt rears!
Howdy from Hotlanta
73 Kammback "Little Buddy"
62 Skylark 215 CI Aluminum V8
71 Dodge D-100 Sweptline
HotfootGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby steelhead » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Well I went again to redeem myself.I Did much better this time.My lights were a little better, even got a run down into 8.9s in trials.16 cars in my class, took the final 9.03 to 9.51 :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
75 2+2
76 2+2
77 Astre Formula
78 Monza Wagon
steelhead

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby greg72 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:17 pm

whoa! they run that on a straight section of an oval track?

I would hate to think what would happen if i couldn't slow down and turn my vega in time !

But never mind all that , good job on your win!!!!!
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby steelhead » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks guys, even though its not a real track it was alot of fun. I liked racing the car and burning the tires knowing its safe and LEGAL :D Kinda leary of the streets with all the people and the price of fines. And yes, its no problem for us slower cars but the real 10 second cars must be very careful at the end. The 2nd race of the season the fastest car rolled in the corner, a few weeks ago he drove his wifes car up on a barrel that lines the edge,Friday someone else drove up on one too. They go over the corner at the meeting every race.
I had to go again
1I wanted to at least win once 2 I wanted to hit the light decent just once
3 You'll love this one,the first time I raced at check in I said Chevy Monza, well he must have wrote mazda because my wife,in the stands, she said she thought it sounded like he said mazda :bang: . This time at check in I staightened him out (NOT A MAZDA,MONZA!!) Well that was how he annouced it "Chevy Monza not a mazda" and made a big deal how he got it wrong the week before. At least he knows a Monza now.
Lanse
75 2+2
76 2+2
77 Astre Formula
78 Monza Wagon
steelhead

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Darrinhollywood » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:48 am

HEY this is Darrin, the guy you helped out with the tilt steering column. Works great. You guys reading this should know Mr steelhead here tore mine apart and fixed it for me. I was sure it was junk and thanks to him my original tilt steering column is back in my bird. Haven't had it back on the road But as soon as I do I will let you know. THANKS again and congratulations on the win. My son was right when he saw that monza and said "Race car daddy!" You almost acted like it wasn't a race car but I just saw the trophy on its hood in your picture here. Sheeeooot! Been working part time lately and really wanting to get my little bird on the road. Finally washed it today. Cleaned out the inside last week. Lookin forward to getting it going so you can help me get it running better!! I just got a picture of me and Oskar with a 18" triploid that we got yesterday. I like eating the native trout better but the "loids" are good to smoke. As long as you figure which end to light. :mrgreen: Talk later.
Darrinhollywood

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby steelhead » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:17 pm

Glad to hear the column worked for you and we got it together right. Give me a ring when you get it on the road and I'll give it a look over.
No its not just a race car but your son can call it what he wants as long as he does'nt call it a mazda.
Went 2 weeks ago, but we didn't get to race. The third pair for times, one guy lost control, wouldn't let off,crossed the center line and nailed the mustang in the other lane.Tore the cable for the lights up, so we just grudge raced.
Friday I went again, and things went good, except some minor brain farts. One run I forgot my door open,shut but not latched, it didn't fly open till I got in the corner at the end. Scared the crap out of me when it flew open. One run had the throttle stick half open, I'd moved plug wires wiping the motor down and didn't put them back,got caught in the linkage. All in trials luckily. Starting to get the light down alittle better. the car runs pretty consistant 9to9.2. Made 2 guys bust out trying to stay just in front of me.we pick the group to run in so we get upper 8 cars who can't compete in the 8 group.
75 2+2
76 2+2
77 Astre Formula
78 Monza Wagon
steelhead

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Drag Racing