Bakersfield hot rod reunion,..DEBUT

Moderator: Moderators

Bakersfield hot rod reunion,..DEBUT

Postby VeneysVega » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 pm

Howdy all,..well I made my funny car debut at the California Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield california this past weekend with my Vega funny car
..absolutly had a blast. My brother Ron and his buddy Shaw drove down from Seattle tuesday night and we hooked my trailer up to Shaws truck and left by 11 am wednsday. We arrived at 4 am thursday morning and slept untill 8 am when it was time to roll in and get pitted.
we got everything unloaded and got the car out and I went to work finishing the cars last little details. We made it over to tech at 2:30 and everything passed on the car, and believe me they looked hard and long at it...while there
we weighed the car with me on the scales and 4 gallons of alky and it is a whopping 1875 lbs,..cool deal, so anyways
back to the pits and up on the jacks to fire the car up for the first time,.. ..yes the first time. after about three attemps and re setting the mag and barral valve the ol blue came to life,..she runs and sounds bitchin,..We woke Friday morning
to get ready to make the first pass in this car that hasnt been down the bakersfield track in 36 years, and also is my first ride in a funny car,.My plan was to make three test passes, one to the 330-400, then 660ft and then 800ft then a full pull,..so the first one the car fired right up, rolled the water box, smoked the tires, tried to stage and rolled the beams before i got it stopped, took the red light and charged it out to 330 felt really great, it left straight and steered excellent,..the next pass at noon did a way better burnout and the smoke coming in the cockpit and came to a stop out at 500 ft,..that was such a bitchin feeling and sence that it was a excellent burnout,..so i went to creep into the beams, and again rolled right threw them,..newbie yea yea yea
so again I took the red light and this time she hiked the wheels up about 7 or 8 inches and carried them out to what seemed about 70 ft or so, perfect feeling straight as an arrow she set the wheels back down and I shifted to second gear and she charged hard out to half track where I lifted as planned,..got back to the pits checked the plugs and it was looking perfect, other than it was idling to fast and that is why I was having trouble rolling the beams to stage the car.
So I made the adjustments to the butterflys and corrected the barral valve,..now its saturday and I decide to warm it up and check the idle and temps,..long story short the battery was not being charged right and it was near dead,.and I wound up chunking the flex plate and breaking a starter, I was thinking damn the weekend is over but,..we found a new flexplate, and Greg Means had a new starter to throw at it, basicaly I spent saturday pulling the tranny and changing parts, and then finding that my fuel pump was not picking up the fuel, I had spike check it out, it didnt pump at all at first then he removed all the fittings off the inlet side and re assembled it and it worked fine, I get it back on the car and go to start it and it wont pump fuel up past the fuel shut off, this was getting old so I had several available pumps over to me and brought one back and installed it,..its now late in the day and chose not to start it thinking I would lose the battery again and have nothing for sunday,..my last attempt to make a full pull,..and only if two runs are allowed for us exhibition cars,..so its sunday the fuel cars are running and blowing up and oiling the track and time is passing rapidily, the word comes around that we will only get one more lap,..well my next lap is to the 800 ft,..and thats exactly what I stuck with,..we pulled to the line the car fired right up on the second attempt,..got off a good burn out, and this time was able to stage the car ,..took the green and it was an absolute pig,..uhhhh forgot to change the barral valve back and also the main jet,..The vega woke up a little bit after about ten ffet and I legged out first gear to far grabbing second,..made it pass half track got out to 800ft and lifted,.and then thinking to myself lets see if the chute deploys,..woops did it before the finishline and ran a 10.08 at 85 mph,..yes the chute deployed,.so anyways it was a crappy 60 ft but ran 5.54@138 to half track,..and now I am thinking why didnt I run it out all the way,...dont know why,..guess I just had one plan to know if this car was going to be stable and straight,.and that was the 3 shakedowns and the 4 fouth run to be all the way out the back door,..guess I have to wait a while now to find out how well it does run.
It was a totally great weekend, even with the thrash on Saturday,..met several folks off the board and put many names now to the faces. thank you everyone who stopped by and said hello, or introduced yourself, thanks Darr, Bob, Pete, Darrell, and James for the photo shoots, Cant wait to see the photos,.HOW ABOUT VIDEO, if anyone knows who has it id love to see it.

thanks again,...I finally did it,..

Vic

http://www.vicmillerracing.com
SMOLDERY SMOKEY BURNOUTS TO YOU ALL
VeneysVega

Re: Bakersfield hot rod reunion,..DEBUT

Postby greg72 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:07 am

AWESOME!!!!

I wish I was there!

Despite the issues you had, it sure sounded like a fun weekend!
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby VeneysVega » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:26 pm

tHANKS,..
Hey i JUST FOUND OUT pACIFIC rACEWAYS IS OPEN THIS WEEKEND FOR DRAG RACING,..SO i AM HEADING
UP THERE TO MAKE SOME FULL PULLS,..SO IF Anybody is out in kent come by the track and say hi.

Thanks
Vic
VeneysVega

Postby 80poncho » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:41 pm

Hey, this looks like you, right?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Vics-Vega-864151_193957.htm

Nice Vid's, not sure if you posted any of them here, you should if you have not, fun to watch!

B..
80poncho

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:50 pm

I thought I posted before but I guess not. Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by and keeping us informed. What you have isn't really even a Vega, it just resembles one. Most guys with a Vega funny car would give a shit less about us. Thanks again and keep us updated.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby VeneysVega » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 pm

Well thanks,..Yes thats me last weekend at Pacific Raceways in Kent Washington.
WHAT,..you mean this isnt a vega :cry: ,..could have fooled me... :bump:

I am a car enthusiest(sp),..not one of these stuck up my car cost more than yours, oh Im John Force
blabber blabber,...
I said to myself this web site has to do with Vegas, and of course Monzas, and astre, and the other one too, why not
share what I have and experiences with it to you guys here,..its all good,..Im not like the others,..hehehehe...shhh. :dance:

theres more vids,..I think 5 total I will see what I can do.

thanks
Vic Miller

VeneysVega

Postby vegon71 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:34 pm

I absolutly love the car..............Thanks for posting it....the vid was awesome.. :wink:
vegon71

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby Dreamweaver vega » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:07 am

Hey Vic

Nice passes, I posted the video's on my website, I hope you don't mind http://www.dreamweavervega.com Man that looks like a fun car to drive.
Dreamweaver vega

Postby littlevega56 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:06 pm

HEY! That look's like an early vega to me!. Just GREAT to have A real flopper doing it real job. GOING VERY FAST! THANK's from littlevega :!:
littlevega56

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby VeneysVega » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:27 pm

Thanks guys,..so now I am in the begining process of sanding the 3 paint jobs off of
the Vega Flopper to reveal the original paint and re-paint it Milli Miglia red just as it was when Ken Veney
ran it back in 1972 and will re-dubuted it at the March Meet 2009 in Bakersfield Cali,...so in the mean time
before I started dissambling everything we went ahead and put 28% Nitromethane in the tank to see how she liked it.

enjoy,........
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Vics ... 200596.htm

PS,..I am getting another Vega in march/april 2009 the 1976 Veneys Vega

VeneysVega

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:21 pm

That takes balls to sit that close to that much power.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby waybad » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:20 pm

I am sooooooooooooooo envious :lol:
keep the sunny side up! nice ride!!
Tinker
waybad

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am

Sounds great, Vic! It's been a loooooong time since the Gainesville tower looked like that!

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Drag Racing