wheel tubs ,anyone have info on installing them?

Moderator: Moderators

wheel tubs ,anyone have info on installing them?

Postby vega 350 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:07 pm

I am installing tubs in my vega but don't know where to start. I do have skills to do it just need direction on how to install them. They look like they just slip in a groove on the skins but i can't seem to get it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
DRIVE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT !!!!!
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Re: wheel tubs ,anyone have info on installing them?

Postby HAULIN' IT » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:58 pm

I'm assuming what you have is refered to as a "Pittsburg seam", the flat tin goes into the half moon part & "locks in"...maybe you have the flat part upside down?
To mount the tubs, it's best to use rivets into the framerails (welding the thin metal to the heavy can be difficult). At the quarterpanel side, this can be done several ways. I prefer that the original wheelhouse be left in (assuming it's good) up several inches from the wheel lip, a flat piece of tin welded up forming another half moon looking piece to attach the curved part to. This leaves a gap between the quarter & tub so viration/twisting doesn't effect the outer panel. Another way (more common) is to remove all of the original wheelhouse & attach the new tub to the backside of the quarter panel. Chris Alston chassisworks or Art Morrison had a nice write-up on installing them some years ago. If you can find it, it will be helpful, if not I'll try to give you the basics. Put the half moon piece up in there where you want it, roll a piece of cardboard the shape of the other part making it somewhat close to the quarter panel shape, tape it to the upright piece & the quarter in several places. Now use a flat stick about 2" long (piece of paintstick works) with a hole drilled in one end for a marker tip to go through to run along the quarter panel with the marker drawing the shape 2" away, but on the cardboard, take the cardboard out, cut on the line, line up the back edge with the Pittsburgh seam...Turn the tool around & now follow the cardboard edge...drawing the correct contour onto the tin. Now here is where my thoughts are different again, instead of cutting on this line, measure out 1" all along it & cut there, now make cuts as needed so you can bend the 1" lip upward, this gives you a nice, wide surface to put a quality urethane seam sealer to "glue" the tub to the quarter panel, this lets the tub flex without distorting the outer panel, but gives a surface to glue to instead of just the edge of the tin. My Two cents, if you need farther explaination...I'll try to do better, Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby vega 350 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks Lorne, That was very helpful i would like to see some pics if you have any? If not thanks for the help.
DRIVE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT !!!!!
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby vegon71 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Here is a link to help get you started.http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/storminnormin/ I did mine much like haulin it mentioned.
vegon71

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Return to Drag Racing