Drag Chassis

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Drag Chassis

Postby Fasterthansome » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:23 pm

I would save the time and $$ and stay with the stock front clip. No need for a front clip unless you are doing a complete chassis.

Unless you are going for the old school pro street look or the bracket car big tire look just do a few upgrades to the rear suspension and enjoy.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby Stivan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:43 am

OK . . . . Let's come back to reality. Do you have "any". . . idea what it takes to run 9's ???? Let alone 8's ???

I'll tell you "exactly" what it takes. . . About $30k minimum for 9's (My Avatar Car). . And $60k minimum for 8's ( Check out "Latest Effort for '08" post on this site)... ..

Have Fun Dude !!!!.

ps: That's "Latest Effort". . . and not "Last Effort" for '08.
Just Another Street Legal(All Motor) 9 sec. Monza.
Stivan

Postby 3258 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:44 am

As mentioned, if you want to run in the 8-9s range, safe, and reliable, you need some sort of front clip better than stock which is a drop in the bucket if you have made it that far. If you are just running 11-12's (which is a big difference) in the 110-125 mph range, you can probably get away with stock. at any ET, you will have a much better chance at getting good weight transfer at the launch and more consistent 60 ft times = more round wins =more safe= more $ won= more fun= wife happy. Its just a no loose equation :)

P.S. You can buy a used dragster that will run mid 8s range for less than $14k right now. If you want to run 8.s thats the only way to do it cheap. Door cars are heavy and take big HP to move

Postby Fasterthansome » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:25 pm

I am running stock front suspension and it has not been unstable or twitchy etc on the big end. I also run factory GM disc on the front and aftermarket disc on the rear and stop ok without the chute.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby 3258 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Fasterthansome wrote:I am running stock front suspension and it has not been unstable or twitchy etc on the big end. I also run factory GM disc on the front and aftermarket disc on the rear and stop ok without the chute.

What ET/mph are you running? how does it act at the finish line when you stomp the brakes in attempt not to break-out?

Postby Fasterthansome » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:00 pm

150+ and I generally try not to stomp my brakes for any reason. I have had to get on them unusually hard and have had no issues.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby 3258 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Fasterthansome wrote:150+ and I generally try not to stomp my brakes for any reason. I have had to get on them unusually hard and have had no issues.

well there you go, as they say, if its not broke, don't fix it :D

Postby DEMON Precision » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:08 am

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23426

here,s the vega project i started . 7.50 legal , keeping the stock front clip but using s10 balljoints and spindles and brakes , car is sidelined while i do another vega project , this car will be 8.50 legal with ladderbars and coilover and a 10x28 slick in the rear , should be starting on it shortly and will start a photo page , i should have my tube bender this weekend just need to bring home the tubing and get some ladderbar mounts lasercut
DEMON Precision

Postby Stivan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:00 am

Fasterthansome wrote:150+ and I generally try not to stomp my brakes for any reason. I have had to get on them unusually hard and have had no issues.

"X2" . . . . ..!!!!
Stivan

Postby 3258 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:52 am

A little smoke off the tires keeps it interesting :shock:

However, when the car in the other lane comes over to visit, you want to make sure that it will react OK when you have to get after the binders!

Postby VegaEddie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Building an 8 second car, no matter what it is, is a serious undertaking. You can't simply throw away the rule book. There quicker your car is, the more likely a tech inspector is going to go over everything on the car. 8 second cars get tech guy's attention. Trust me!

You had BETTER be on your game with an 8 second H-body. These cars have a very short wheelbase compared to many other race cars and they DEMAND the driver's attention. It had better be built right, otherwise they'll be sweeping your butt off the track surface.

8 second rides aren't childs play. They require someone who knows what they are doing during the build (i.e. an experienced chassis builder), someone who knows how to properly set the car up (both front and rear suspension) and a driver who has experience in a fast car (someone who has plenty of passes going single digit E.T.s).

Be prepared to spend a TON of money!!
1973 Vega Wagon - Reher-Morrison 565ci BBC
VegaEddie

1973 Chevrolet Vega Estate Wagon

Postby Stivan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:18 am

What He Said !!! X2 . . . . .
Stivan

Postby spencerforhire » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:10 am

I think we've beaten this one to death; I feel bad for the original poster(whom we haven't heard from in this thread for 3 mohnths) who has been severely pummeled for the mere suggestion of trying to build a racecar on a budget without sanctioning body approved construction. Hmmmm.. I think I see the problem; The words "racecar' and "budget" don't belong in the same sentence......
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Fasterthansome » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:00 am

I am all for building on a budget, if the stock front end works why spend $ where it not needed. ANY car can be built on a budget.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Previous

Return to Drag Racing