Drag Shock questions ?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Drag Shock questions ?

Postby DRAGRACERRON » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks faster then some and speed good advice i will try my new combo this week which is drag shocks and No front sway bar and then if no better try air bags and rear sway bar. Now speed Who sell adjustible torqure arms ?? i ben waiting for 3 years never found anyone who makes them ?? i thought spoon was going to but never did to my knowledge that would be the best thing is a adjustible torque arm.
DRAGRACERRON

Postby greg72 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:07 pm

You are correct, they sell adjustable control arms but not torque arms.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1975-1980-GM- ... trol-Arms/

F or an adjustable torque arm you are on your own as far as fabricating.

There have been some talk of them here in the past . Perhaps someone will post more information regarding them.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby DRAGRACERRON » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:43 pm

Update from this weeeknd racing i did well i raced friday and won but car 60 foot times are still 1.66 I removed sway bar added front Competion 90-10 shocks and still no fifference in 60 foot times ? I even had brand new tires ! Anyone have any lake wood 90-10 shocks for sale ? I dont think shocks are working like suppose to. I lift car up and front end should stay up but still falls rate back down ? I was carefull to set shocks to the setting the book said but still dont seem right to me. Do they make a shock for back that will go down easy and hold it down ? I am confused ?? LOLahaahahah I need help ! LOL
DRAGRACERRON

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:54 pm

Is there any video available of the car launching? It sure would help. What tires are you running and what pressure? Is the front end dead weight or do the springs help lift the front when you lift on it?
Ho much front end travel are you gettingbefore fully extended?
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby DRAGRACERRON » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Tires arenew this weeeknd Mickey thompson E.t street tires 27x10.5x15 i run 13 pounds of air tried higher spins worst. I am getting about 5 inches of travell just about all the competion enginering shocks allow. i removed sway bar didnt see nay gain there. Front gets some travel for sure but wont stay up or keep weight tranfered. I dont have video but i will see if i can some one to video the car this weekend. I am waiting for lake wood shocks to be available as they are factory back ordered. I herd those are best for h-body cars a true 90-10 shock. I am thinking of adding my balast weight in trunck again car hooked 4 hundreths better with it. I wish my class allowed drag slicks as this would be a big help. But i have to run close exhaust and d.o.t tires in Pro street.
DRAGRACERRON

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 pm

add air bags
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Fasterthansome » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:45 pm

I guess I am not understanding the air bag recomendation? I understand an air bag in the passenger side to control twist but dont understand how or why air bags would help other than that.
Is there some benefit taht I am missing?
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby 72 SS PNL » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 pm

the will raise the rear end up some , add spring rate to the springs , as well as preload the chassis

rear squat is essentially a bad thing , once the weight transfers , when the rear squats , the suspension is lifitng the tires off the ground and pulling them up into the wheel wells , after the initial hit you want the rear to raise up which forces the tires into the ground
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby 1972vega » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:25 pm

72SS pretty much explained how you want the suspension to work. I found that the bags help to resist the rear from staying low after it squats at launch, and they help to use that energy to plant the tires.
I recently put a set of the AirLift 60897 "DragBags" on my 72 Vega and it works very well, I picked up just over a tenth in ET and lowered my sixty foot from 1.90 to high 1.60s with no other changes. I am still testing for the best settings in each bag ( I ran the air supply hoses separate so each side can be filled at different air pressures) but feel that in my case about 10lbs in the driver and 30lbs in the passenger side is what my car likes.
1972 Vega - Harvest Gold - 355SBC, Vortec heads, Turbo 350 - 3000 Stall, Ford 4.11 Locker, M/T 8.5 x 26 Slicks.
Best ET 11.71 - 115MPH - 1.60RT - All stock chassis - no subframe/roll cage/stock interior.
1972vega

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby DRAGRACERRON » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:24 am

Who makes the rear air bags ? Where did you buy them ?
DRAGRACERRON

Postby Fasterthansome » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:14 am

1972vega wrote:72SS pretty much explained how you want the suspension to work. I found that the bags help to resist the rear from staying low after it squats at launch, and they help to use that energy to plant the tires.
I recently put a set of the AirLift 60897 "DragBags" on my 72 Vega and it works very well, I picked up just over a tenth in ET and lowered my sixty foot from 1.90 to high 1.60s with no other changes. I am still testing for the best settings in each bag ( I ran the air supply hoses separate so each side can be filled at different air pressures) but feel that in my case about 10lbs in the driver and 30lbs in the passenger side is what my car likes.

As much as you gained in the 60' I would have expected more gain in the ET. Are you running 1/8th mile?
Also is your Vega a 4 link car or torque arm car?
I found that with my torque arm set up anti squat was much better than a 4 link style H body.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby Fasterthansome » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:59 am

DRAGRACERRON wrote:Who makes the rear air bags ? Where did you buy them ?

Jegs and Summit both sell the bags.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Air-Lift/Air-Lift ... 7/10002/-1
IMO they are an old school way to control body roll by stiffening up the pass side. Moroso also makes rear springs that do the same, stiffer and longer on pass side to control roll.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby DRAGRACERRON » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:18 am

So the part #60897 fits Monza springs to ? I never had a vega so dont rear sring diameter. Just makeing sure before buying them. As faster said if you gained 3 tenths in 60 foot how come didnt run 3 tenths quicker at the track ?
DRAGRACERRON

Postby chevyart » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:19 pm

what 72 ss pnl is saying is exactly right. it is actually called anti squat when everything works right. look at a leaf spring car doing a burnout. the rear body of the car lifts way up in the back and at the same time is putting downforce on the rear tires, which gives you traction chervy art
chevyart

Postby Fasterthansome » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:11 pm

There is a fine line between enough anti squat and too much anti squat. Anti squat should come from the suspension geometry.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

PreviousNext

Return to Drag Racing