LS Vega screwing around at Milan Dragway. Vid

Moderator: Moderators

LS Vega screwing around at Milan Dragway. Vid

Postby RockDaddy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Just for your viewing enjoyment. 6-13-10
Behold..... The power of Corn.

Some bracket racing from outside the car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYFy44MTiI

Same race from inside the car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiHvRyIj5zs

Just another race from the outside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yoV2x8qYc8
Image;Image

Thx to Billy Briggs and the guys at http://www.motorcityspeedonline.com
RockDaddy

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Re: LS Vega screwing around at Milan Dragway. Vid

Postby 72vega5.3 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:54 pm

Nice. Chassis looks dialed in?
72vega5.3

Postby waybad » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:17 pm

saawweeeeeeeeeeet!
Tinker
waybad

Postby jon72vega » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:27 am

Awesome!
jon72vega

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby RockDaddy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:53 am

72vega5.3 wrote:Nice. Chassis looks dialed in?

I had the entire rear ladder bar setup cut out and redone. Only thing that stayed was the rear end. Had shocks moved and all that jazz. I'm also running smaller tires this year and its hooking better. ran a number of 1.27x 60's that day. Only thing I'm fighting a little is it wants to pull to the left when the fronts come up. I'm very happy with its progress so far. I think I can get it into the 8's on motor before too long.
Image;Image

RockDaddy

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevy art » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:24 am

hey rockdaddy i know youare an experienced racer and tuner. i hear alot of guys say that they tune the suspension with their shocks and not the preload in the laddeer bars or ladder links. what is your take on that idea for suspension tuning. sxupposed to be alot better, safety wise when you unload the gas at the other end of the track. art
chevy art

Postby waybad » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:54 pm

that's how my camaro was tuned,, without the extra clicks(stiffer compression R.R.) my car would turn to
the right a little,, after about 5 clicks it would launch strait,, everthing else was neutral,, but I
also had a rear anti-roll bar,, :th:
but I also didn't have a 8sec car either :bang:
Tinker
waybad

Postby RockDaddy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:45 pm

chevy art wrote:hey rockdaddy i know youare an experienced racer and tuner. i hear alot of guys say that they tune the suspension with their shocks and not the preload in the laddeer bars or ladder links. what is your take on that idea for suspension tuning. sxupposed to be alot better, safety wise when you unload the gas at the other end of the track. art

Actually I have very little drag racing experience in a car. I have raced diesels and about anything else with a motor but in a car I'm kinda new. This is my 3rd season and the last 2 seasons didn't start until July so this is my first full year. I am learning each time I go out just like the engine tuning. I have a FAST injection system and I never touched one until this year. I'm doing ok with it I think. I have not moved my ladder bars yet. Last 2, half seasons I had the worst rear suspension ever, it was nonadjustable and all I had were my front end limiters and rear shock adjustments to work with. For this year I had it all cut off and all new put in but I haven't moved the bars yet. I was amazed how much tuning I can do with the front end limiters, it's pretty cool. I am also just making rear shock adjustments. My car will pull left if the front wheels are up. I have been using air pressure and changes in one side of the front end limiters to counter act it.
Image;Image

RockDaddy

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevy art » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:42 pm

hey waybad thats the info i am looking for. even if your car is in the 9s or 10s that way of suspension tuning is good . let us know any other little techniques you have to make the car launch straight art
chevy art

Postby chevy art » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 pm

hey rockdaddy dont sell yourself short. if you go that fast you are experienced real quick. could you maybe give us a little lesson on that fron end tuning with the limiters. i am familiar with front end limiters(i think) (stops wheels from dropping down when front end lifts. far as i know there are just solid types or cable types like the chevy 11s use with the shock towers. these have an adjustment by way of cables. is this what you are referring to thanks art keep flying with that car and be careful art
chevy art

Postby TheyCallMeDave » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 pm

Hello. Ive been seriously lookiing at prostock Vegas and came across your purple one . Im a cash buyer and was wondering if youd consider selling yours ? I like what youve done with it and its very much what im looking for. Im serious, a cash buyer, age 56 . Thanks. Ibedavid@hotmail.com
TheyCallMeDave

Postby RockDaddy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:04 pm

I use the limiter alot. Depending on the track I loosen them up to get the front end up and weight on the back tires but then boom, next time out the track hooks and I'm on the bumper. I was looking straight up last time out. One notch change and 16 inch wheelie. Also if I'm pulling left when the wheels are up I have been told the opposite front corner (left front) is jumping up a little more naturally and giving its opposite (right rear) more bite. I adjust one side alitte to try to keep more wheel weight on the left front and even it out. I'm still learning but doing ok. Got a few tweaks this weekend to try to get her closer to 9.0's for an index class I'm trying for the first time. I'm adding 1 psi to the rears as the are folding up a bit much, new velocity stack for my 4 barrel throttle body (made 20hp more in the middle or the rpm band) and also blocked the grill off with plexi to see if she picks up some speed. I really think 9.0 @ 147 is in my future. All motor running on corn baby! If I can hit 8.99 I'll add a 200 shot plate to it and go for the chassis cert limit.

Dave,

I am flattered you are interested in my Vega but I've dumped so much into it this last year either I would have to take a big loss which I'm not willing to do or you would have to offer me more than I think anyone would. If your crazy and loaded hit me with a PM. Otherwise I got to hang onto her.

You know what is cool. My Vega is my favorite one I have ever seen!
Image;Image

RockDaddy

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevy art » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:02 am

hey rockdaddy the way i keep looking at your car i know it is my favorite also art
chevy art

Postby Rickracer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:42 am

My favorite as well, :th: :th:
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevy art » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:26 am

hey rockdaddy come to atco speedway in NJ and you will be in the 8s. i think it is a tad below sea level/ supposedly the fastest track on the east coast art
chevy art

Return to Drag Racing