moroso trick springs

Moderator: Moderators

moroso trick springs

Postby boog963 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:36 pm

New to the board and would appreciate some help! Trying to install some moroso trick springs on my 72 v/8 vega drag car that still had the original shocks and springs under it. Ordered from summit that I'm suppose to use and using a inner spring compressor,but can't get them in. Does anyone know if they have to be cut and how much? Thanks
boog963

Re: moroso trick springs

Postby Rickracer » Sun May 22, 2011 9:26 pm

I went round and round with this issue, even talked to Moroso, and they wouldn't recommend a spring for a Vega, but I would bet, you'll need to cut at least a coil. Can you measure the wire diameter? I've decided that right around .500"~.525" would be about right, and Moroso didn't even want to tell me the diameter of their springs, :rolleyes:
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Bob Gumm » Mon May 23, 2011 1:22 am

I had a similar problem installing AC springs in a Monza; this is how we did it. With the springs compressed they're still too tall to put in. Fortunately my car was on a lift, with the springs compressed, we shove the top of the springs into the car. Then we swung the lower control arm out and my buddy held the spring as close to the control arm shock hole as they could get it and then I used a 3-4 foot long pry bar and from the underside of the control arm I put it through the shock hole and into the center of the lower coils and then swung the pry bar outward which rotated the control arm up and pulled the spring into the spring pocket. I held the control arm up while my buddy attached the spindle to the lower control arm. It was truly a pain in the ass, but that was the only way we could get them in. Make sure the springs are properly clocked as there is a specific way they go in.

Good Luck,
Bob Gumm
v8monza.com
Bob Gumm

Postby MachoPoncho » Tue May 24, 2011 1:47 am

I am NOT sure if this is true but I have always thought that if you cut moroso trick springs than they dont perform the same. My friend cut his springs on his 3rd gen camaro and it didnt launch as well. just my 2 cents if they are true or not i dont know :lol:
MachoPoncho

Postby Rickracer » Tue May 24, 2011 7:33 am

Depends on what you want them to do. Moroso springs are designed with one purpose in mind, storing energy for a good drag race launch. They do this by packing as much spring length into your suspension travel as will fit. But if the "as delivered" Trick spring doesn't give the proper ride height, that's not storing energy, it's "using up" suspension travel. If the ride height is too high, you have to either cut some length off the spring, or select a spring with a smaller wire diameter or less coils to begin with. :wink: 8)
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Drag Racing