NOS 2 Stage Plate tune

Moderator: Moderators

NOS 2 Stage Plate tune

Postby earl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Forum what would be a good baseline tune of a 2-stage cheater plate system with this setup. The setup is as follows 400sbc with 11:1 compression, Dart 215 heads ported and polished, victor jr. intake ported to heads, 750 holley modified by Wilson Carbs,Camshaft specs are as follows @.050 Intake274-Exhaust282 Lift with 1.6 rockers Intake.669 Exhaust.668,350 trans with 4000 stall, 10bolt with .410 gears. Car also has ARB,Rollcage and SFC. Tubular upper and lower control arms.Will be using 2 fuel pumps and 2 regs. This will be 1/8 mile racing only.Was actually considering 75 out of the hole and 100 on the second kit.Tire size will be 26x8.5x15 on a 7 inch rim.What are some of your results with similar setups and also times? Thanks in advance Earl, please chime in everyone who can lend a hand.Car is up and running on its own power now but having trouble sending it from my e-mail, please help
earl

Re: NOS 2 Stage Plate tune

Postby Fasterthansome » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Had the Nova going 5.80's at 120 last night with a 26x8.5 and a 383 with a 2 stage cheater plate but it was a bit more than 75 and 100.
You wont even notice the 75/100 switch. If its just a regular cheater 2 stage its y blocks and only stage on at a time. I would shoot for 100-125 for first stage it should be able to leave on it. What tire?
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby earl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Faster it will be M/T or what do you recommend? If it is possible for it to hook I would love to leave on more. You suggested leaving on a 100 or 125, that would suit me better. I considered using WOT switch on 1st kit and using button for the second. Could you please explain the Y-block set-up, in regards to the system that I am about to run? Faster with the Y block installed after grabbing the second kit would it be a combined number from both kits or will one shut off. Would like to have it where one kit will not shut off. Thanks for your time Faster.
earl

Postby Fasterthansome » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:44 pm

You want the Hoosier 26x8.5. A regular cheater 2 stage has y blocks one stage on one stage off. A double cross or crossbar plate would combine two bars. The old NOS stacked bars didnt work well at all.
All my cars use a throttle switch for first stage button for second even the ones that combine stages.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby earl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Hoosiers they will be, yes this kit is the y-Block set -up with the stacked bars. What was the problem with the stacked bar plate system? Were there distribution problems, or is this a poor design? What about expected 1/8 mile times with a 200 shot on the second kit? Will get a video up later this evening of a test run, not on NOS just coming from the shop. Appreciate all the advice Fasterthansome!
earl

Postby earl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Faster forgot to ask what is the best method for getting the tune right for the second stage, meaning timing or should the first stage timing be ok, do not want to blow it up.
earl

Postby Fasterthansome » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:58 pm

A multi step retard box would work for nitrous retard depending on what ignition your using.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby earl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:35 am

My Multi-Step will be used, I also have a MSD ignition set-up. So I clearly understand and appreciate all the information Fasterthansome. Thanks and hopefully our Brethen learned something from this post. Thanks H-Body for this great site!
earl

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:12 am

I tried tuning a stacked bar plate and didnt have much luck so I went to a cross bar style. Not sure if the top bar was freezing the lower or what the problem was but I abandoned that learning curve.
The Nova is set up with a big shot single bar plate with a Y block front and rear of plate, It has a micro switch on carb for first stage and button for second. Second stage is a 91 n2o jet currently which is somewhere around 250/275
They are independant stages and it works well, there is no lag or gap between stages.
It would be easier to tune than combined stages IMO.
My other car has a Edelbrock plate for first stage that had a better distribution pattern when flowing than the big shot plate.
Edelbrock and NOS both make cross bar styles if your looking to stack stages with a plate.
You can turn any single bar plate into a two stage with Jet Y blocks and two sets of Noids. If going bigger than a 82ish jet on second stage with Y block you should check the jet holder inner diameter as it may not have diameter to flow a bigger jet. I have had to drill a couple out to .115 so the jet would be the restriction not the jet holder.

Wilson offers a Inline stacked bar plate and there website should give some baseline tunes for it if your set on using that style plate as a two stage..
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:28 am

This would be one of the Y blocks to convert a single bar plate to two stage. They sell a upgrade kit for cheater plate and it comes with fittings relays etc.Image
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby earl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:01 pm

I appreciate all the help that you have given to me Fasterthansome. Might have to send this plate off and get it flowed. Thanks again, Earl.
earl

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:20 pm

I think the will try to sell you a different plate than a stacked bar plate. Just a guess. Pick up an edelbock X plate or a NOS X plate or speedtech diffuser plate. Just use your solenoids.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby earl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks Faster will look into the aboved mentioned plates!
earl

Return to Drag Racing