Back In The Saddle

Moderator: Moderators

Back In The Saddle

Postby Disturbed Racing » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Finally made it to the track last night for the first time in a lil over a year!In that year we made several changes to the car including motor,motor plate,2129's,paint,and front end work.So we didn't really know WHAT to expect.
Sadly,pit chief(wife) was home with a sick crew member(3yr daughter)so I didn't get any good pictures and the video my 13yr step daughter took was from too far away :(
It was 96 deg and sunny when we 1st got to to the track.My plan for the 1st pass was to foot brake the car and see how it was gonna launch and if it stayed straight,continue on with the pass.I had 8 psi in the slicks and the shift light set at 6500.The car left the line hard and straight,(like I would have lifted anyways :lol: ) and never missed a beat down the track. 1st pass was:
60ft 1.65
time 6.92
speed 101.26
For the 2nd pass I dropped the tire's down to 6 1/2psi,set the shift light at 7000,and put a 3600 chip in the 2 step for the transbrake.Again the car left hard,stayed straight,however I may have short shifted as I didn't recall ever seeing the shift light come on.2nd pass:
60ft 1.495
time 6.799
speed 100.89
For the 3rd pass I didn't change anything and basically just wanted to make sure I didn't short shift.3rd pass:
60ft 1.499
time 6.794
speed 101.19
For my 4th and final pass I dropped down to 6psi on the tires,kept the 7000 shift point,and bumped up to a 4200 chip for the brake.4th pass:
60ft 1.498
time 6.788
speed 1.498
To be real honest with ya,I was hoping to have the car running 6.50's but all in all it was a awesome night just to be out there again.Got so many compliments on the car,I started having a hard time getting my head in my helmet!!And the car seems to be consistent and it came home in one piece! I never did take note of my rpm thru the traps,but I do know I'm not hitting second(2spd Glide) till I'm 2/3's down the track.Thinking I need to jump from a 4.56 to a 5.13.................................... Joe
Disturbed Racing

Re: Back In The Saddle

Postby 72WGN » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Thats awesome, I hope to get mine down the track at least once this year. got a way to go though.

Nice times for a first time back.
72WGN

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Disturbed Racing » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Just keep plugging away.Unfortunately,it takes time.I had actually been planning on making my 1st passes back in early June,but kept getting held up by one thing or another.
Disturbed Racing

Postby Fastmax32168 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Hey Joe,
Where are the local tracks at up there and what days of the week do they run on?
I have a place in Robbinsville, I go up there frequently mainly to ride Motorcycles, but a night at the track might be a good activity one of these trips.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Disturbed Racing » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey Roy,
Lots of good riding areas out this way :th: Some of the tracks would be:411 Dragway in Seymore(just outside of Knoxville),Knoxville dragstrip,and I-40 Dragstrip in Crossville.All 1/8th mi.The only 1/4 mi I know of on this side of the state would be Bristol.There is also another 1/8th mi track in Chattanooga but have yet to go to that one.I HIGHLY recommend a night at I-40 in Crossville.They run heads up classes and run a Bounty Outlaw class.You'll see quite a few low 5 sec door cars and ocassionally mid to hi 4 sec cars.Good,friendly crowd as well.Can't count how many times I've had racers grab my 5yr son and put him in their car for a picture....Hope this helps......Joe
Disturbed Racing

Postby bugdewde » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Joe,
I'm off I-40 near Kingston/Harriman/Rockwood area.
I have a coworker that pits for Newcomb and another fella up at Crossville. They run a small block Ford with a big Turbo.... high 4's at 150+ mph.
They also have Duster with an aluminum Funny car nitro motor...... that they converted to alcohol and run a big turbo... 2500 HP!
They hit all the big races around the area..... even Valdosta down in Ga. Regularly win money, too!

There's some quick cars at Crossville for sure!

I never got into drag racing, but I definitely respect all the technology that goes into it. They have some really neat controllers for rpm, boost, timing, fuel pressure, NOS stages/times, traction loss ....etc.. Wow! Not what I imagined. High tech rednecks!
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Disturbed Racing » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi Dwight,
Wow,didn't know there were other folks from our neck of the woods on here.I was just in your area the other day.Somthing definately to be said for RedNeck Technology :th: Was at Crossville earlier this summer when Tim Lynch was grudge racing his new Vette.I got a video on my phone,seems like they were running 4.80's @ 176.Amazing stuff for 1/8th mi.Heck,there even turning out 5 teens in there real street classes at Crossville!And here I sit with a big tired back halved Vega running 6.78's<sigh>
Roy,I didn't answer your question on days that they run....I think all of them run test and tune on Fridays,and if enough cars show up they'll usually run a footbrake and a trophy class.Crossville and Knoxville run there Bounty races once a month and run there regular classes the other 3 weeks.For Crossvilles schedule you can go to i40dragway.com or bountyrace.com.Knoxvilles web site is knoxvilledragstrip.com and Seymores is 411dragway.com. Joe
Disturbed Racing

Postby Rickracer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:54 am

Nice runs for a first time out after major work!! :th:
Gonna be doing the same thing soon, hopefully within a month. Like you, I'm looking for 6.50s as well, best pass before the chassis work was a 6.90, 99.9 mph, 1.56 60', but that was spinning a fair bit, and all over on the top end, :shock: :shock:
I was running some 9x28 Hoosiers, they looked new, and felt relatively soft, but I think they were pretty old. After about 60 passes, there's not much left of them. Gonna be running a brand new pair of M/T 29.5x10.5Ws now, should be a lot different. Didn't really do anything to the motor except going from a 650 DP to a BG 750 Silver Claw carb, and I'm going from a 3000 converter to a 4000. :th:
I figure between losing a little weight up front, adding a LOT of traction, hopefully 15~20 hp from the carb change, and at least a tenth or two in the 60' from going 4 link vs. the factory 4 trailing arm suspension and the 1K higher stall speed, I'll be in the target range. 8)
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Disturbed Racing » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Rick,been following your changes in your project journal.Sweet ride for sure :th: Keep us posted on how it all works out for you.I'm really curious about your tire change as my slicks are very old themselves and are gonna need to be replaced soon.I've been playing around with the video my step daughter took and will see if I can figure out how to post them up here.
Disturbed Racing

Return to Drag Racing