Who has been the quickest with a stock suspension vega?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Who has been the quickest with a stock suspension vega?

Postby JWStevens » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:20 pm

overkillrc wrote:
JWStevens wrote:
overkillrc wrote:the 74' i'm building i eventually plan to turn into a outlaw 8.5 car with stock suspension it'll have to run 5.5's or 60's in the 1/8 to be competitive. we ran a torque arm car i built (not an H-body) at test and tune tuesday night and went 7.86 @ 174mph (1/4 mile) on a 275 drag radials...were racing sunday and hope to go atleast 7.60's or 50's weather is supposed to be a little cooler. on the 7.86 run he was on the brakes and off the throttle at 7.33 into the run....gonna be fun this weekend oh and had a 1.28 60ft time but only a 5.16 to the 1/8th

I've got a 4 link vega but it is coilovered and has a 28x10.5 on it. I've gotten to the point to where if it doesn't run LOW 5's I'm gonna be sick. My chassis guys promod was a torque arm car a few years ago but he changed it to 4-link because he was having issues which could have been a few things but he just eliminated that as a possibility. I don't think he ever went but 4.30's or so with the torque arm. I'm just a little curious how my car is gonna drive being so short.

ours is a 98' firebird full factory body. the floors are stock, only fiberglass on it right now is the hood. although we are getting a glass decklid. right now the car weighs 3450lbs

Yeah, I've got a couple F body torque arm cars. They're real popular in the 275 stuff down here. I can't afford to build something that heavy. It takes money to move that much weight.
JWStevens

1974 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby overkillrc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:19 pm

it was built for X275. although were gonna run oulaw 275 at no mercy. it's all about the same as far as cost per pound so its what we built.
overkillrc

Postby JWStevens » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:39 pm

overkillrc wrote:it was built for X275. although were gonna run oulaw 275 at no mercy. it's all about the same as far as cost per pound so its what we built.

Ive ran basically stock 454's for a long time so I had to go super light to go fast (or try to go fast). I'm shooting for just over 2000 pounds.
JWStevens

1974 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby overkillrc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:50 pm

JWStevens wrote:
overkillrc wrote:it was built for X275. although were gonna run oulaw 275 at no mercy. it's all about the same as far as cost per pound so its what we built.

Ive ran basically stock 454's for a long time so I had to go super light to go fast (or try to go fast). I'm shooting for just over 2000 pounds.

cool, most of the stuff i deal with is heads up so, a combo like that doesn't even enter the picture.
overkillrc

Postby JWStevens » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:06 pm

overkillrc wrote:
JWStevens wrote:

cool, most of the stuff i deal with is heads up so, a combo like that doesn't even enter the picture.

Yeah, we run heads up but its basic rules. Either a tire size or suspension type, plus we grudge a lot.
JWStevens

1974 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby overkillrc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:24 pm

JWStevens wrote:
overkillrc wrote:
JWStevens wrote:Ive ran basically stock 454's for a long time so I had to go super light to go fast (or try to go fast). I'm shooting for just over 2000 pounds.

Yeah, we run heads up but its basic rules. Either a tire size or suspension type, plus we grudge a lot.

what class allowes 2000lb car and a BB? or are you talking index?
overkillrc

Postby JWStevens » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:50 pm

Yeah, we run heads up but its basic rules. Either a tire size or suspension type, plus we grudge a lot.[/quote]

what class allowes 2000lb car and a BB? or are you talking index?[/quote]
LOL! Heads up! We're on the road right now headed to a race that's having a TT5 class and the only rule is that it has to have the correct tire size, period. The stock suspension class allows coil overs. We're taking TRUE street cars so I'm sure we'll have to race naked mustangs and s-10's but its just part of the deal. We're probably gonna grudge too.
JWStevens

1974 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 383vegawagon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:33 am

overkillrc wrote:
383vegawagon wrote:Went 9.98 at 135 on this pass a few years back.. 75 Monza coupe with all stock front and rear suspension.. 27X10.5X15 ET streets (9" tread).. Stock gas shocks, stock 3 link (tubular torque arm), no mini tub... Car hooks hard and straight as an arrow! Although it is hazing the tires during the wheelstand!
monza.JPG

cool car. do you have an anti roll bar on it?

No, Just a sway bar (modified the factory one) on the back to fit the 12 bolt.
Dave D.
383vegawagon

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby Fasterthansome » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:33 am

Fasterthansome wrote:Not a vega but I have been 9.20's on factory torque arm suspension.
As far as H body's go i think it would take low 8's to be the fastest non mini tubbed non coil over stock suspension.

This season I think it will take better than 8.20's in the 170's...just saying
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Previous

Return to Drag Racing