Fiberglas bumpers?

Moderator: Moderators

Fiberglas bumpers?

Postby Fasterthansome » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:50 am

Anyone know the weight of factory Monza 4 headlight yrethane nose vs fiberglass? Same on rear bumper?
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Re: Fiberglas bumpers?

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:31 am

This first site lists the weight for their products but no reduction claims, http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Cars/75-Monza.htm this site lists some weights for their products (MZ109 is listed and that is some of what you are looking for) http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Cars/75-Monza.htm I seem to recall somewhere I read that changing to these parts will net you around 100# but after holding these parts (sorry I didn't weigh them) I would have to assume that requires removing everything bumpers, supports, and the energy absorbing (ballast) units. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Fasterthansome » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks Harry, I was planning on removing everything except the plastic covers and was unsure what the difference might be. I am thinking it might be minimal the urethane parts vs fiberglass parts.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby 80 MONZTA » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm with you, thinking covers themselves will end up being similar weight. Only difference may be aerodynamically, the fiberglass ones don't have the opening around the bumper, also it looks like the bumper part does not stick out as far as the stock ones.

Little off topic, but I want the fiberglass ones myself just because they look a lot better (smoother) than the stock ones. But nobody still makes the 78' to 80' nose piece. Just look at 454Spyder's car, he has the fiberglass pieces and it smooths out the whole car.
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:33 am

The fiberglass front and rear does give it a smooth look and looks great. If the front and rear bumper doesnt save a decent amount of weight over the urethane parts I can use the $$ somewhere else right now. I can gut the rear adn make aluminum supports or small light tube support but I still need to see what the weight difference will be.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:52 am

80 Monza There is a source for the '78-'80 nose but this is going to be painful......... Showcars he charged me just under $400 and 17 weeks for delivery (I had to go pick it up)and this is a race piece no light or grill openings the nose cones aren't very heavy (the Showcars rear is a '75) the weight savings come from removing the stuff behind the covers I figure that #100 pound number (different from up22's number72# would be the removal of the headlights) I will try and weigh the glass covers (or nose cones if you will) but it will be a couple of days/week at least Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 80 MONZTA » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:33 pm

OK, just weighed the front urethane nose and bumper cover, 15 lbs. That does not include the fiberglass part underneath holding the headlights and giving shape to the upper nose. That part weighs 13 lbs with the four headlights. I am too lazy right now to remove those headlights. :P

Harry, where did you have to go to pick it up?
up22 - Unlimited Products (75-77 style) describes the nose piece they make as:
MZ-108
Unlimited's front nose assembly is fully hand laid fiberglass. It includes front bumper and headlight housings molded in. It allows you to bolt your headlights directly into the nose piece thus eliminating the factory light mounting assembly.

mz-108.jpg

Does the Showcars piece have the headlight buckets molded in, or is it flat, Like the kind where they simply put a decal to look like headlights?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:29 pm

So 28 lbs. Looks like if I do an aluminum mount for headlights and to keep shape its not worth going to fiberglass right now. My guess is as mentioned the headlights have some weight.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Showcars Is flat decal job and yes I drove 4+ hrs. one way to Toronto (Showcars) to get it, as I really believed the RCMP were about to seize his property, (he wanted to get paid in cash as "there was a problem with his account" I was going to make him wait but decided that I would beat the feds to my stuff ( I would've got them back from the fed's but with a lot more phone calls and paperwork!) I bought fiberglass for the weight savings and the ability to make them straight, I doubt I would ever be happy with the wavy urethane. Mine is the '78/'80 style the UP22 is a ambiguous hybrid design but leaning more to the early style, and while I first fell in love with that style the later one is my favorite. So I looked at the original difference in shipping and UP22's less than stellar reputation (Better than Rob's by a lot) but the fact was that Showcars was drivable in a weekend and UP22's local is 60hrs. one way (and it is a lot harder to tell a 240# @$$#ole to F.O. on the phone than in person, so having dealt with D.Head in the past I figured that repairing his mess would still be slightly cheaper than doing my own from scratch, and I still believe that but I may be confused yet! Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby wrightway » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Frank i ran mine across the scale at Martin at the last race this year car was 2800 1500 on the front 1300 on the rear those numbers are with me 225-230 in the car and a 10-11 gal fuel load also a full bottle of nos
wrightway

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby wrightway » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Front clip is unlimited products fiberglass rest of car is steel body
rear side windows are lexon the rest are original glass.
firewall and trans tunnel are original steel. floor and wheel tubs are aluminum
wrightway

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Return to Drag Racing