Monza cooling??

Moderator: Moderators

Monza cooling??

Postby Gator » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:06 am

What are you guys with the high out put motors useing for cooling? Not much room to do this! Im going nutts trying to figure out just whitch way to go. Can you show off some pictures under the hood of what you did? I wont to get back on the road with this thing!! I picked this car up cash as is and was told it ran 180 all day long !! What bull shit! Now I need to do some thing!!! Thanks!
Gator

Re: Monza cooling??

Postby robert123 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:20 am

Gator wrote:What are you guys with the high out put motors useing for cooling? Not much room to do this! Im going nutts trying to figure out just whitch way to go. Can you show off some pictures under the hood of what you did? I wont to get back on the road with this thing!! I picked this car up cash as is and was told it ran 180 all day long !! What bull shit! Now I need to do some thing!!! Thanks!

You can try:

1. Dual Electric Fans in front or rear of radiator (rear = 20% more efficient). Spahl fans are US made and supposed to be great.

2. http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10
Water Wetter-- 100% distilled water & 1 bottle of Water Wetter = 20 degrees cooler!
Check on water pump seal (bearing?) being lubricated.
Remember your specific climate..... water freezes at 32 degrees. You can read about 100 reviews of Water Wetter on amazon.com. It works.
Best tip is: drain cooling system........Radiator Cleaner-Flush-drain..........rinse-drain.......rinse-drain.....now its' Squeaky Clean for great heat transfer.....
Add Distilled water and 1 bottle of Water Wetter.
*Flushing it with a cleaner will help you get the 20 degrees cooler.

3. Take the hood off = 5-10 degrees cooler ('open the oven door')

4. You can put an "UP DATE" on this post to let us know how you got it to run cooler.
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:27 am

Here is the document I post whenever a cooling issue question comes up:

There have been tons of tips over the years on cooling. There really should not be any issue with cooling while driving above 30 mph or so. Start with the basics, a good radiator ( I highly recommend an aluminum), proper molded hoses, a good mechanical fan with a shroud, make sure your cooling system is full of no more than a 50% solution of antifreeze along with a bottle or two of Redline WatterWetter, make sure your overflow system is connected and you have a proper radiator cap. Thermostats are always a controversy, I believe in running one since millions of cars use them and they don't overheat. An auxiliary electric fan is always a plus and adding some sheetmetal ducting in between the grille and radiator to direct all of the airflow through the radiator is a good idea. That will vary by make and model, but I added some simple sheets to help direct the air to the radiator and it did help. Also run a good air dam under the front grille area to create a low pressure area under the car as well as behind the radiator which will help promote air flow. That's pretty much the basics, after that you are looking at tuning the engine for the correct A/F ratio and ignition timing which can help. Try running full manifold vacuum and see if that helps your situation since all engines are different. Doing all of this should help with 90% of any cooling issues. Granted the temp may still rise if you are stuck in traffic or God forbid, you are in a parade. There will always be a bit of an issue because of packaging, it's a small engine compartment with a relatively small radiator, but these things should keep you out of danger."
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 6D9 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:15 pm

My dad's 72 runs crazy cool. Its a 406 sbc that makes about 450 ish hp. Here is what he has...

Aluminum hi flow water pump
EMP/Stewart 160 T stat..with bypass holes
Griffin aluminum radiator..think its a 22x19
Twin Spal 10" eleictric fans...pushers
72 Vega GT...406 sbc..TH700R4...3.42 gear...235/60/15 MT DR's....11.54 at 118.6..Dad's car
72 Vega GT...4cyl..4 speed..all stock
6D9

Postby v8vega383 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:30 pm

I'm running a universal BeCool aluminum rad that is 26.5 inches tank end to tank end. It just fits between the frame rails. The tank size is 22 wide x 18.5 tall. I use an 18 inch flex-a-lite mechanical fan, 50/50 antifreeze and use a 160 degree thermostat with two 1/8 drilled holes in it. This will help with the air bubbles when you first refill the rad. I always run between 180 and 190 degrees all day long on hotter days whether in traffic or highway. On cool nights the engine doesn't run over 175 degrees. :th:
1976 Pontiac Astre, Pro Street, 383ci stroker, TH350 with 8 inch TCS convertor, 10 pt cage, back halved with 4 link and 9 inch rear. Best Et 10.85 in street trim ("all natural, no steroids"). Visit my Youtube page @ v8vega383.
v8vega383

Return to Drag Racing