First post, Drag Vega, still a work in progress

Moderator: Moderators

First post, Drag Vega, still a work in progress

Postby Teammudd » Sun May 01, 2016 4:56 pm

I traded a non running project for this running 77 Vega project that needed a little bit of work as far as the wiring went. I was going to make it a gasser/rat rod type street car, but it hasn't been titled since mid 80's. If i can get it going fro the street I still might work on that part, but for now it's just a drag project. Hoping to get it finished up and make some passes here shortly.

it's a 1977 Chevy Vega wagon, 350 conversion, th400 transmission with 3500 stall converter, Ford 8” rear end (baby 9”) with 28 spline axles, 4.11 gears, solid ladder bars. The 350 is bored .060 over, has 650 double pumper carb, edelbrock performer rpm intake with 1” spacer, 72cc iron heads, .488/.510 cam (EDL-7102), 45gpm electric water pump, dual electric fans, Accel billet distributor, battery mounted in rear compartment, aluminum fuel cell in rear, rewired with new fuse box, relays, main disconnect switch, emergency cut off by steering wheel, tach with shift light, 2-5/8 mechanical oil pressure/water temp/volt white face gauges, all new switches, B&M shifter, sub-frame support bars welded to roll cage, clearance for 29-29” x 10-11” slicks, fiberglass hood with scoop, solid mounted motor with frame and roll bar supports.

The previous owner had a lot of the parts just no time to work with them, I rewired everything, put the battery in the rear, did some carb work to it, installed the new water pump, new fans, few other little odds and ends and it was drivable again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
Teammudd

Re: First post, Drag Vega, still a work in progress

Postby Teammudd » Sun May 01, 2016 5:01 pm

I still am thinking adding a better racing seat, steering wheel disconnect with racing wheel, maybe some grasburner/zoomie headers or some block huggers if they'll fit. It gives me something to tinker with any way haha!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
Teammudd

Postby spencerforhire » Sun May 01, 2016 5:34 pm

I don't know about where you intend to race this car, but the rules (if enforced) will require a barrier between the fuel tank/battery area and the driver's compartment. You can probably re-engineer the original trunk floor to seal things up, or build something new.
Also in the list of safety related items required to pass a tech inspection will be a master battery shut off switch somewhere on the rear of the car. This is required on all vehicles with a battery relocated to the rear.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Teammudd » Sun May 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Working on the batt/tank cover, I gave myself enough cable to run a master disconnect at the rear. It's still a work in progress.....
Jason
Teammudd

Postby Monza Harry » Mon May 02, 2016 9:41 am

Welcome aboard! Keep plugging away at it and it will get closer to what you want. Have FUN and keep us living vicariously through your posts! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby EVL VEGA » Tue May 03, 2016 5:36 pm

Teammudd wrote:I gave myself enough cable to run a master disconnect at the rear. It's still a work in progress.....

Can't see in picture..is there an alternator on the car? If there is make sure it shuts off when master disconnect is flipped.
Mine is currently wired wrong and the alternator keeps the car running after the switch is thrown. I'm switching to a 4 pole disconnect and running my alt field wire to the disconnect.
No tech inspector has ever tested to see if the switch actually works...i'm still going to fix it.
EVL VEGA
'73 Vega Hatchback (former Super Gas car)
406 SBC, AFR 210 Eliminator Heads, 9:1 comp, pump gas, 328RWHP/412RWTQ (old heads, no N2O 1/17/04), 6.86 @ 100.8 in 1/8th (No N20 9/4/16), Mike's Trans TH400 (reverse manual), 5000 stall, 12 bolt, 35 spline strange axles, 4.33 gears, spool, hipster transbrake, linelock, backhalved, Alston 3 link, 100 shot NX Hitman+ kit, LC1 Wideband sensor, 31x18.5 MT Sportsman Pros, "Plum Ugly"™ Purple paint.
"Pound to fit..paint to match"
EVL VEGA

1973 Chevrolet Vega

Postby spencerforhire » Tue May 03, 2016 9:09 pm

I always use a 4-pole battery shut off switch when I'm wiring a drag car, but I don't cut the alternator field wire. I interrupt the ignition + to the MSD box. This ensure instant shut down when the tech inspector checks it(which they do at all 4 tracks we race here in Eastern Canada).
I don't condone it, but some racers with one-wire alternators and 2-pole switches just run their alternator feed all the way to the battery itself. Then the switch will test properly, but the alternator line is "hot" at all times and therefore the battery itself must be disconnected for service, and to ensure there's no drain on the system.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Return to Drag Racing